Changes in lifestyle and carelessness towards health can lead to many diseases. Lifestyle mainly affects eating habits, and whatever is related to food, is related to the stomach. Acid indigestion is a common digestive disorder of the stomach. In this condition, the hydrochloric acid which facilitates the process of digestion and is present in the stomach, flows back (regurgitates) to the esophagus (a pipe from mouth to the stomach). This is known as acid reflux, which is also referred to as gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).
An upset stomach, heartburn, nausea induced vomiting, poor appetite, belching, mouth ulcers, bloated feeling, etc. can be observed in an individual suffering from indigestion. Nearly half of the population in US suffer from this disorder and some even face it daily. Usually, this disorder is taken very lightly, but in extreme cases it can lead to dangerous consequences. To avoid any adverse circumstances, one should concentrate on acid indigestion remedies to solve this health problems in the initial stage itself.
Acid Indigestion Causes
The food that we eat is categorized into alkaline and acidic substances. Normally, it is recommended that the food should be 75% alkali and 25% acid based. This maintains the pH of the body, and thereby helps it in functioning normally. An increase in acid levels results in regurgitation from the stomach to the esophagus which causes various digestive problems. Hence it becomes necessary to know the causative factors behind this health issue in order to avoid it or to get it treated as soon as possible.
So, following are some of the causes of acid reflux disease.
- Irregular intake of food
- Over-consumption of spicy food
- Excessive intake of liquids along with the meal
- Lack of digestive enzyme
- Alcohol addiction and smoking
- Stomach ulcer
- Sleeplessness or sleeping immediately after a meal
Remedies for Acid Indigestion
One can find out number of solutions for various diseases, but effective ones are few. There are various acid indigestion treatment options which are usually recommended by doctors but the best way to cure acid indigestion in the initial stage is to use easy home remedies. Mentioned below are a few remedial measures to cure acid reflux disease.
- Drink 8 to 10 glasses of water daily. This maintains the pH of the stomach and controls the secretion of acid.
- Proper rest is essential for the overall health of the body. Sleeping for at least 7-8 hours a day is recommended.
- Never sleep immediately after having your meal. Wait for 2-3 hours, as that is the time when your body works and completes the process of digestion.
- Chew food properly before swallowing, instead of just gulping it down, as it helps in easy and quick digestion.
- Avoid the consumption of any types of drugs, alcohol, smoking, etc. as they slow down the process of digestion and increase the amount of acid in the stomach.
- Take smaller meals instead of large ones as it may result in the overproduction of acid which can lead to acid reflux. Prefer 4 small meals over 2 large meals.
- BRAT diet is recommended during acid indigestion. It consists of Banana, Rice, Applesauce and Toast.
- Drinking water after a gap of every 3-4 hours with few drops of mint can be very helpful. You can also chew on mint leaves.
- A herbal tea made from mint, raspberry, blackberry and chamomile will be a sure help at this time.
- Clove helps in the enzymatic action and helps prevent acid indigestion.
- Take few drops of garlic oil mixed with half cup of soy oil and massage your stomach with this mixture. This will relax the stomach muscles and reduce the production of acid.
- Green tea or ginger tea are also good for the stomach in case of acid indigestion.
- Papaya is very good for digestion as it secretes special enzyme which helps in breaking down the complex substances into simpler form. This in turn limits the production of stomach acid.
- Baking soda with a glass of water can relieve very effectively.
- Stress can increase indigestion and other stomach-related problems. To avoid this you can adopt various stress management programs like yoga, pranayama, meditation, etc to relieve yourself.
These are some of the points which I would suggest as acid indigestion treatment. If you are still suffering from the same symptoms for a longer period of time then it is better to consult a doctor, as it may have reached to the extreme levels of stomach ulcer. Just enjoy your life and have a healthy tummy, so that you don't need to suppress the desires of your taste buds when you desperately want to have something spicy or tempting. After all, it's the taste buds which decide the choice of our food.