Almond oil is a vegetable oil extracted from dried kernel of sweet almond. It is a clear liquid with a light shade of yellow and a sweet nutty aroma. The fact that almond oil is good for the skin is known for centuries and is widely used for skin care. Today, it is used as a carrier oil in aromatherapy body massage. Besides, it is an important ingredient for several skin care products.
People prefer to use almond oil for massage because of two good reasons. One is that it has less greasy feel after application and the second thing is, it does not have any strong odor. Another important quality of almond oil is that it is suitable for all types of skin. In other words, it does not matter whether you have a dry, oily or normal skin, you can safely use almond oil on it.
The beneficial properties of almond oil for skin is owing to the fact that it is a rich source of vitamin D and E. These vitamins nourish the skin and helps to improve its condition and can also resolve various skin problems. Some of the positive effects of almond oil massage are as follows:
For Body Massage
- Almond oil enables the skin to maintain its normal pH balance and keeps it hydrated. It makes the skin soft and supple. In short, it works as a natural moisturizer for all types of skin.
- Almond oil massage helps to get rid of dry skin. When it is applied, the oil is readily absorbed into the skin and has a lubricating effect on the skin.
- Those who have sensitive skin tend to get skin allergies quite often. They should massage their body with almond oil regularly to get relief from itchiness and skin inflammation.
- The skin on knee, elbows, feet and heel tend to dry up more easily and become hard. Body massage with almond oil will be helpful to restore the moisture which was lost out and its excellent emollient properties will soften up the skin of these areas.
- When the body skin becomes excessively dry, then cracks may develop on the skin surface. Sometimes, the skin becomes scaly or flaky due to dryness. Almond oil massage can repair this kind of skin damage and restore the smooth texture of the skin.
- Massaging your body with almond oil can provide a lot of relief from muscle pain almost instantly.
For Face Massage
- Regular use of almond oil for massaging the face can lighten up the dark spots and blemishes on the facial skin and improve the skin complexion. Thus it brings back the natural glow of your skin in no time.
- People with a dull or rough facial skin should massage almond oil daily before going to bed. This will help to retain skin moisture and give a soft, supple and healthy look to the skin.
- Almond oil is highly effective for acne treatment. Basically, acne is caused due to bacterial infection on skin surface. The antimicrobial properties of almond oil fight off the infection and help you to get acne free skin. Moreover, it can also be used for removal of ugly scars left behind old acne.
- You can get rid of dark circles under the eyes with the help of almond oil. The skin of under eye area is very delicate and tend to lose out moisture readily. As a result, the skin becomes dark and sagging. Gentle massage of almond oil into the under eye skin will moisturize the skin and dark circles will disappear.
- You can reduce the appearance of wrinkles on facial skin surface to a great extent by massaging almond oil. Replace your anti-aging skin care products with almond oil and see the difference for yourself. If you are already using almond oil regularly, then it can delay the appearance of the wrinkles.
- If you are bothered by the sunburn on facial skin, then apply almond oil on it with a gentle hand. It has a calming effect on the skin irritation and other uncomfortable symptoms of sunburn.
Before using almond oil for facial skin care, you must wash your face, pat dry it and then massage the oil all over the face with small circular strokes. To apply it on the under eye area, take a drop of oil on left hand ring finger and rub it into the skin of the area with a light hand. While using almond oil for aromatherapy body massage, you need some preparation. Take two tablespoons of almond oil in a small bowl, add 2 drops each of lavender oil and rosemary oil to it and heat the oil slightly to make it lukewarm. The oil is now ready for massage therapy.