Using organic oils has a number of beneficial uses for the overall body. One such oil is the argan oil, which is extracted from the kernels of the argan tree whose scientific name is Argania spinosa. Endemic to Morocco, this organic oil is a rich source of a number of essential nutrients. Since the process of extraction is a difficult task, argan oil products are expensive. Oil from argan seeds is extracted in the traditional process by Berber women.
After removing the outer layer, the kernels are toasted and then pound by hand to extract oil. Toasting the seeds gives them the rich, nutty flavor and also yields more oil. Apart from cosmetics, argan oil is also used for culinary purposes, like amlou which is a classical Moroccan bread dip. You can purchase vials of argan oil from cosmetic as well as health food stores.
Properties of Argan Oil
There are a number of beneficial properties of argan oil which are useful for maintaining the health of the body, both internally as well as from the outside. Here are some of the healing and rejuvenating properties of this essential oil.
- Argan oil has high amount of essential fatty acids like linoleic acid, oleic acid and staric acid etc. derived from plant source. These are anti-inflammatory in nature which help in the regeneration of the skin and also improves the functioning of the cells.
- Squalene is another vital ingredient in argan oil, which also performs the function of revitalizing the skin and improves its quality. This chemical is naturally secreted by the sebum in the skin and taking argan oil triggers the skin to produce more. In turn, it helps the skin to maintain its viscous balance and also prevents the clogging of pores. being antibacterial in nature, squalene protects against various skin diseases and cancer.
- Vitamin E, tocopherols and toctreinols all have antioxidant property which fight against the free radicals which can cause damage to the skin.They protect the lipid structure of the skin from oxidation and also provide the skin with smooth and supple texture.
- Sterols is another plant-based matter which is a potential anticarcinogen. It modifies and protects the skin's structure from the harmful UV rays of the sun. Hence, argan oil can also be used as a sunscreen to prevent tanning, due to overexposure to the sun's rays.
Benefits and Uses of Argan Oil
Argan oil is quite popular for its extraordinary properties, since it is an all natural product sans chemicals, preservatives, artificial coloring and perfume etc. Argan oil is a popular ingredient in cosmetics and is also used for culinary purposes. Here are some of the benefits and uses of argan oil.
- One of the important uses of argan oil is for the skin. Containing high concentrations of vitamin E, applying this oil on the skin helps prevent a number of skin disorders and problems. Regular application of this organic oil nourishes the skin from deep within and also promotes good health.
- Argan oil also acts as an excellent moisturizer for the skin, regardless of any season. It can be used the entire year round and helps lock moisture from escaping through the skin, so that it remains supple and radiant. You can now get rid of dry chapped lips, heels and skin, a common complaint in winters, with the routine use of argan oil and other argan products. It also helps soothe dry skin around the elbows and knees.
- Signs of aging like wrinkles, stretchy, sagging skin are evidently reduced after using argan oil. A rich source of antioxidants, it neutralizes the free radicals in the body and helps improve the elasticity of skin and is considered to be miracle oil.
- Brittle and damaged nails can also be replenished and made stronger by regularly applying this organic oil, right from the base to the tip. It strengthens the nails and also adds sheen to its appearance.
- Another advantage that can be garnered with the continuous use of argan oil is a thick, lustrous mane. Massaging with this essential oil helps revitalize the roots, thus preventing hair fall. It also hydrates the scalp that makes dry hair a distant past.
- You can also use argan oil as a sunscreen lotion. This oil is easily absorbed into the skin, without leaving any greasy layer and helps block the sun's harmful rays from affecting the skin..
- Argan oil properties also include being antibacterial and antiseptic in nature. Applied to wounds, it helps in faster healing and also triggers the formation of scar tissue. Skin disorders like eczema, chickenpox and psoriasis are also effectively treated with the help of argan oil. Common skin problems like acne, white heads can also be brought down after using this organic oil.
- If taken internally, argan oil reduces the levels of cholesterol, thereby treating hypertension. Inflammatory disorders like rheumatism can also be controlled with argan oil and its products. It is also used in different weight loss regimen, since it aids in the faster burning of fat molecules. Argan oil also acts as a great stress reliever, since it has sleep inducing properties.