Bananas and plantains belong to Musa, which is a genus that includes about 70 species. Bananas are packed with nutrients. According to the USDA, 100 g serving of banana provides 74.91 g of water, 89 kilocalories of energy, 1.09 g of protein, 0.33 g of fat, 22.84 g of carbohydrate, 2.6 g of total dietary fiber, and 12.23 g of sugar. Bananas are very rich in potassium. They are also a good source of magnesium, phosphorus, folate, vitamin A, and vitamin C. It is not just the fruit that is nutritious, even the banana peels, which we tend to discard, contain phytonutrients.
Uses of Banana Peels
- Banana peels contain esterified fatty acids, which have actually been isolated and incorporated into a patented lotion (Exorex lotion), which in turn is recommended for the treatment of eczema and psoriasis. It is believed that rubbing the peel on the affected area will prove beneficial. However, it would be best to consult your doctor before you try this remedy.
- Banana peels contain an amino acid called tryptophan, which is used by the body to synthesize serotonin. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that affects mood, appetite, sleep, and memory. In some countries, banana peels are used in cooking. It can be inferred that consuming banana peels might improve your mood. However, it's advisable to consult your doctor before you do so.
- It is believed that gently rubbing the inside of the peel on the acne-affected skin might prove beneficial. It is best to rub the peel at night, before going to bed.
- Symptoms such as itching, redness, and inflammation that are caused due to coming in contact with poison ivy, might resolve by applying the inside of the peel on the affected area.
- It is believed that rubbing the inside of the peel on warts every night for 7 to 10 days can prove beneficial.
- For beautiful supple skin, rub the inside of the peel on your face before going to bed. Leave it on overnight. Wash it the next morning with warm water.
- If your skin feels itchy, then tape the peel on the affected area and leave it overnight. The chemicals in the peel will help in getting rid of the itching sensation.
- Some people claim that regularly rubbing the inside of the peel on teeth for at least two weeks can help whiten the teeth. The peel should be rubbed on the teeth in a circular motion.
- If your skin is irritated due to a mosquito bite, rub the inner side of the peel on the affected area.
- Banana peels can also be used to get rid of splinters. Tape the peel (inner side) on the affected area. It will help in dissolving the splinter or work the splinter out.
- Instead of using chemical-based products to get a shine on your silverware, use a peel on them. However, it is best to carry out a patch test, before you use it.
- Banana skin is rich in potassium and phosphorus, and can be used as a garden compost.
On a concluding note, don't throw away the banana peel. If you are not going to use it on your skin, you can at least add it to the compost.
Disclaimer: The information provided in this article is solely for educating the reader. It is not intended to be a substitute for the advice of a medical expert.