announcement

Check our homepage for new, visually rich, fast and immersive experiences!

Bleach on Ringworm

Bleach on Ringworm

One of the treatment options used to deal with ringworm is bleach. Read on to know how to use bleach on ringworm.
HolisticZine Staff
Last Updated: Feb 8, 2018
Ringworm is a common fungal infection that affects the human skin. This condition manifests as a skin lesion that assumes a ring-like pattern. It leads to itchy red patches, which are sometimes bald. It can affect any region of the body, right from the scalp to the foot. Many people try out different types of home remedies for this problem. One such common home remedy is the use of bleach. Many people claim that this is a very effective ringworm treatment. Given below are details on how to use this common substance to treat this malady.
How to Bleach Ringworm?
  • First, select a household bleach that does not contain any sodium hydroxide, which is known to many as lye. It is imperative that the solution you are using does not contain any sodium hydroxide, as this ingredient is very harsh on the skin, and more so on infected skin.
  • Put a dab of bleach on a cotton ball or a swab. Use this cotton ball to pat the infected skin. Don't rub the bleach in, only pat it on the affected area. Rubbing it in, especially if done vigorously, can lead to irritation, causing the blisters to burst, thus spreading the infection to other parts of the body. The region will usually sting for a while.
  • Ensure that you throw the used cotton ball away after dabbing it on the affected region so as to prevent inadvertently spreading the infection.
  • Don't use this remedy around mucous membranes, on the scalp, or anywhere near the eyes, as these regions are very sensitive.
  • Do this for 4-7 days, provided the skin does not open up and become broken. It will dry up the spot and fasten healing, although actual spot of the lesion will generally take longer to heal and disappear.
Is It Safe?
So, does bleach helps to get rid of ringworm permanently? Well, not quite. To be honest, some people even claim that it is only a myth. This condition can be treated many other ways as well. It is said that bleaching a ringworm lesion can be toxic for the patient. Every person's skin has different levels of sensitivity when it comes to bleach, so using it directly on the infected skin can land a person with a painful chemical burn, which may not only be quite unsightly. It may also open up the blisters for further infection, making it an open wound. Although people claim that using bleach clears up their ringworm lesions and causes cessation of itching, experts claim that you may land up with another, more grave wound, like a chemical burn, if you try to use this treatment for ringworm.
This was all about treating ringworm by using bleach. Ringworm is a condition that tends to cause a lot of discomfort, but that is no excuse to use harmful methods to get rid of it. Fact of the matter is that bleach acts by killing the cells of the surface. So, along with killing the fungal cells, it also kills the cells of the body. Thus, if you really wish to treat this problem, it is best to visit a doctor who will prescribe you some topical antifungal cream. However, if you do try using bleach and land up with pain, excessive stinging, or a chemical burn it is best to visit your doctor immediately to prevent any further complications.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.