Salivary glands play a very important role in chewing, swallowing and keeping the mouth moist. They are responsible for the secretion of saliva. There are two types of salivary glands namely major salivary glands and minor salivary glands. Major salivary glands produce about 80% to 90% of saliva whereas the rest of the 10% to 20% is produced by the minor salivary glands. As the production of saliva is a necessity, any type of problems in the salivary gland may cause other complications. An obstructed salivary gland is one of the major gland dysfunctions which can create a number of problems. Hence, it is very important for you to know about some of the blocked salivary gland home remedies which can get you rid of the problem as soon as possible.
Home Remedy for a Blocked Salivary Gland
A blocked salivary gland may cause many problems and may even become a very serious issue. Hence, it is very important to get rid of it. You can try out some of the treatments which are effective and easy to perform at home.
- Drink Lots of Water: First and the most important thing to do is to drink adequate amount of water. Dehydration or insufficient amount of water may result in dry mouth conditions which may lead to formation of stones in the salivary glands. Hence drinking sufficient amount of water will decrease the possibility of the formation of stones.
- Avoid Excess Exposure to Sun: Try to avoid excess exposure to sunlight as this may result in dehydration. If you can't avoid such conditions then you need to keep yourself hydrated all the time.
- Saltwater Remedy: Saltwater may be a good remedy in getting relief from the pain and swelling. Take warm saltwater, swish it in your mouth and spit it out. Repeat this with at least one glass of water. Do this 3 to 4 times a day. It will give relief from pain, swelling and will also help in removing impurities and opening of salivary ducts.
- Increase Production of Saliva: To increase the production of saliva you can try out sour soft candies or some drops of lemon. The increased flow of saliva will draw the stone out of the duct and will help in getting relief from the pain and other discomfort.
- Warm Compress: Placing a warm compress behind the ear and below the mandible may also help in increasing the flow of saliva. This will help in the removal of the stone from the salivary duct and will also give relief from the pain and swelling.
- Drink Soup: You can also prepare a mixture of ginger, turmeric, black pepper and chili by mashing them up. Prepare a soup out of it by adding boiling water and salt to taste. This will relieve the pain.
- Have Ginger Tea: Ginger tea is also considered very helpful for this condition. Have it 3 to 4 times a day to reduce swelling, pain and inflammation.
Salivary glands get blocked due to the formation of a stone which is either caused due to some of the chemicals or because of the calcium deposition. These stones may vary from 1mm - 10mm in size but are enough to block the production of saliva. It can occur in any age but people above 40 are at a higher risk of getting stones in their salivary gland. Following are some of the causes.
- Lack of adequate water in the body may result in the formation of crystals of calcium in the salivary gland.
- Constant or prolonged exposure to the sun may result in excess dehydration which may in turn take you to the formation of stones.
- Diseases or health conditions like HIV, depression, anxiety, etc. may cause obstruction in the salivary gland.
- Some medications like antidepressant drugs may reduce the production of saliva which may lead to the formation of stones.
- Some oral and throat surgeries may also cause blockage in the salivary gland.
So, these were some of the home remedies for blocked salivary glands. If you are not able to get relief from these remedies in one day, consult a doctor immediately. The doctor may prescribe you some of the medication which will break down the stones and will drain them out of the salivary duct. There are many other medical treatments also which help in removing the stone. The last option to get the stone removed is the stone removal surgery. All these treatments are quite effective and successful. So consult your doctor if you experience any such symptoms and remember to drink sufficient water as it will prevent you from any salivary gland disorders. Take care!
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.