According to research, constipation and back pain are associated with each other as they normally occur at the same time. Improper food habits, inadequate intake of fiber, dehydration, over-consumption of dairy products, medical conditions like stress, hypothyroidism, and excessive use of medication like laxatives, antacids, etc., are factors that may alter a healthy bowel movement. Usually, people suffering from constipation and backache tend to treat the pain with a painkiller and other medication, which can further worsen constipation and may lead to medical emergency. Backache may vanish once constipation is resolved.
The Link between Constipation and Back Pain
Constipation is a condition where a person faces difficulty in eliminating stools from the body. Due to scarcity of water or other physiological problems, feces get blocked in the lower intestine or colon. The stool become hard and dry, blocking the colon, which may exert pressure on the walls of the lower intestine and adjoining areas. Due to blockage, the waste is unable to get expelled from the body. This condition can worsen, in case there is accumulation of fecal matter in the large intestine and rectum. This fecal impaction affects the muscles and nerves in the adjoining area which triggers back pain. This may radiate towards other parts of the body, leading to chest or abdominal pain.
The other reason behind back pain is when an individual gets bowel movement he tries to pass the hard and dry stool which results in strained back muscles. These strained muscles can cause lower back and abdominal pain. Constipation can also be a cause of bladder pain as it also exerts pressure on the bladder. During pregnancy infrequent bowel movements and an increased uterus may put pressure on the rectum, leading to constipation and backache.This is because of the hormonal changes the body undergoes during pregnancy, and hence it is considered a common health problems during this period.
Relieving Constipation and Back Pain
Constipation, along with backache can be a very distressing condition, since it may affect the daily routine. If this condition aggravates, it may lead to some unwanted complications. To prevent this, early diagnosis and treatment is essential. Mentioned below are some remedial measures to treat constipation, and thereby relieve backache.
- Water is the best solution for constipation. Drink ample amount of water to keep your body hydrated. Water also softens the fecal matter, helping it in easy excretion, out of the body.
- Including fibrous food in your diet will help add bulk to the stool and eliminates it without effort. Avoid junk food as much as you can, since wrong diet is a major cause of constipation.
- Get regular and proper exercise. This will keep you healthy and prevent back pain.
- Laxatives are the best solutions for severe constipation. It shows 100% result and gives you fast relief. But always consult a physician, before taking any medication.
- Acupuncture and massage therapy are also very helpful.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.