Function of chlorophyll in plants is analogous to the function of blood in humans and most may be unaware of this fact. It has a molecular structure that is identical to that of hemoglobin (a hemoprotein composed of globin and heme that gives red blood cells their characteristic color; function primarily to transport oxygen from lungs to the body tissues).
What differentiates the two from each other is the center atom. In chlorophyll, the center atom is magnesium and in hemoglobin, it's iron. Hence, its benefits to humans are its ability to perform the job of hemoglobin, or adding to the quality of hemoglobin.
How Does it Benefit Humans?
The health benefits of chlorophyll come from its anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties
- It enriches the blood with nutrients that help to build iron and thus, its intake increases the count of red blood cells in the body. Not only the quantity is increased, but also the quality. This in turn leads to an improved circulation and production of more energy.
- Apart from helping in cleansing the body, it also helps in the growth and repair of tissues.
- One of its most vital health benefits is in cutting down the ill-effects of pollutants that we take in everyday. So, in this way, smokers can turn more towards this amazing food, if they are having a tough time to quit smoking.
- The magnesium content in it helps in transporting oxygen to all the cells and tissues in the body. It also helps in red blood cells stimulation and thus, improving oxygen supply.
- Given its antioxidant property, it helps neutralize free radicals in the body, and it has also been found to reduce inflammation.
- It aids in boosting the immune system and wards off infections, helps in healing wounds and improves circulatory, digestive, and detoxification systems.
- Binding of carcinogens (any substance that produces cancer) to DNA may be detrimental to health. Chlorophyll helps to prevent it.
- It is equipped with the property of chelation. Chelation is the process of removing heavy metals from the bloodstream by means of a chelate, as in treating lead or mercury poisoning. Meaning, chlorophyll can remove heavy toxic metals such as mercury and lead from the body.
- Bad breath, foul-smelling urine or fecal wastes, and body odor, can all be addressed by the use of this miraculous wonder-food which also acts as a deodorizer. It also promotes a healthy digestive tract, thus preventing bad breath and bad odor further.
- It can help in boosting body's tissues to destroy germs that cause infection. It not only curbs the growth of bacteria, but strengthens the tissues and adds to their resistance against disease as well.
However, going for chlorophyll supplements provides more benefits than simply taking vegetables. This is because, it is killed in the process of cooking. Therefore, you should opt for its extracts, liquid solutions, and tablets. These products are easily available in local health and drug stores.