Colloidal silver is one of the promising component that helps in promoting overall health. It is basically a suspension of tiny silver particles in water. Being the smallest biological form of matter that can pass through the membranes of the cell, colloidal silver can be easily absorbed by our body. It has been used for nearly 100 years, and its healing and health properties go back over 2,000 years. It has a long history of use in the medical world, where it has been used as an antiseptic topically and as an antibiotic internally to treat many ailments and to boost immunity.
With the advent of antibiotics and other medications, use of colloidal silver as an alternative medication had taken a step back. But due to multi-drug-resistant (MDR) germs and bacteria, scientists and researchers are now looking at various alternatives including colloidal silver, as effective treatment against viral, fungal, bacterial, and yeast infections.
How Colloidal Silver Works
Colloidal silver is an effective, natural broad-spectrum disinfecting antibiotic, and antimicrobial agent that works as a preventive against systemic infections or diseases. It is capable of reducing the severity and duration of almost any type of bacterial infection. Another advantage is that when it is consumed, it concentrates more in the skin, liver, spleen, and adrenal glands, and lesser in the muscle and brain.
When colloidal silver is present near a virus, fungus, bacterium, or any other single-celled pathogen, it acts as a catalyst and incapacitates the enzymes required by the pathogens i.e. (disease-bearing bacteria, viruses and fungi) for the metabolism. Therefore, within a few minutes, these microbes either starve without causing any harm to different parts of the human body, including human enzymes. As a result, there is total destruction of any disease-producing organism present in the body. It is generally excreted out of the body in the form of fecal matter. Studies shows that it has been an ability to rapidly destroy more than 650 different harmful organisms within six minutes or less.
- Orally colloidal silver is used to treat bacterial or fungal infections, sinus infections, common cold, allergies, etc. that cause an itchy feeling in the back of the mouth, and sneezing, watery eyes, etc. Spraying colloidal silver at the back of the mouth and under the tongue with an applicator 10-15 times a day, or gargling with it 5-6 times a day and then swallowing, helps overcome these infections.
- Intestinal problems like irritable bowel syndrome, diverticulitis, food poisoning, flu, dysentery, diarrhea, gastritis, etc. may be cured by drinking a single 200 ml dose mixed with 500 ml of pure chlorine-free water early in the morning.
- Bladder infections and urinary tract infections, including colitis, cystitis, prostatitis, gonorrhea, etc. may also be treated by drinking a single 200 ml dose mixed with 500 ml of pure chlorine-free water early in the morning and then lying down for next 20-25 minutes.
- Topically it is used as a disinfectant and antiseptic to cure cuts, grazes, burns, dandruff, itchy scalp, yeast infections, and skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. Its antiseptic and germicidal properties promote wound healing and clean skin without damaging tissue cells. Many manufactures provide colloidal silver sprays which may be employed as a household cleaner, a nasal spray, or a natural deodorant.
- Mild eye infections like conjunctivitis, pink eye, or septic conditions of the eyes may respond well to colloidal silver. A few drops of colloidal silver applied in the eyes at night and in the morning may help clear up the problem.
- Beside these, it may also be added to suspected drinking water while traveling or camping, and to juices and milk to prevent them from spoiling, fermenting, deteriorating, clabbering, or curdling. It may safely sterilize anything from toothbrushes to surgical instruments.
Although the uses and health benefits of this silver are numerous, it may not be safe when taken orally in amounts that exceed a total intake of 14 mcg per kg of body weight daily. Moreover, long-term use may cause its accumulation in the body, causing an irreversible bluish skin discoloration called argyria. However, despite the health risks associated with its excessive use, it has once again become popular as an alternative remedy and immune booster.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.