Cough and sore throat (strep throat) can be a symptom of a minor ailment like common cold or some other respiratory disorder. It is also one of the most common conditions seen in infants and children.
Causes and Symptoms
Cough can be a symptom of several disorders like asthma, common cold, influenza (flu), whooping cough, bronchitis, pneumonia, tuberculosis, etc. Cough and sore throat together can be a symptom of airborne allergies. Cough can be of different types: dry cough, severe cough, spasmodic cough, or asthmatic cough. The types vary according to the cause. On the other hand, sore throat is often accompanied by burning sensation in the throat, noisy breathing, nasal congestion (stuffy nose), slight fever, headache, etc.
Cough and sore throat in minor cases can subside by itself within a day. However, follow these measures for a quick relief. Firstly, taking compete rest is very essential. Bed rest for one whole day is the best treatment for viral and bacterial infectious diseases. Secondly, if one is accustomed to taking any specific medications, he/she should continue doing so as long as there are no side effects seen. Cough syrups, lozenges, and sprays can be used. Similarly, there are several over-the-counter painkillers and pain relievers available that help in treating sore throat. On the other hand, one also needs to restrict the intake of certain foodstuffs like cold drinks, sodas, and fried foods. Rather, one can have chicken and vegetable soups, vegetable broths, cheese sandwiches, and salads. One should also drink adequate amounts of water to keep the body well hydrated.
- Add ¼ teaspoon turmeric in 1 glass of hot or lukewarm milk and drink it once or twice a day.
- Gargling with salt water is an effective remedy.
- Add 1-2 slices of ginger while preparing tea and drink it 2-3 times in a day. Ginger tea is an effective home remedy for sore throat in Asian countries.
- Add some lemon and honey to a glass of lukewarm water and drink it once or twice in a day.
- Lemon and honey can also be added to tea to have a soothing effect.
- Include foods containing vitamin C like lemon, oranges, amla (Indian gooseberry), etc., in your diet.
- Use a steam vaporizer to inhale steam, which helps in clearing nasal congestion.
- Have a bowl of hot chicken soup once a day to treat cough and sore throat.
- It is also advisable to install a humidifier in the room if there are children at home.
Sore throat and cough are minor symptoms that subside within a couple of days. However, if the symptoms persist even after taking medications or following home remedies, one should consult the doctor for proper medical treatment.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, seek to replace the advice of an expert.