Many people experience cough and cold as the season changes. Generally, coughs are acute in nature but the best part is that one does not need to take recourse to antibiotics or other strong medicines for the same. Natural cough suppressants are believed to work great and have no side effects as well. Moreover, they are easy to make. Deciding which is the best natural cough suppressant is difficult; because there exist several home remedies and all are good. One may choose any of the homemade medicines, given below, as all are believed to be equally effective.
Natural Cough Suppressants
Firstly, one should be aware of what causes a cough. A simple tickle in the throat or throat infections like common cold, or environmental allergies can cause it. Using the ingredients available in your kitchen cabinets or refrigerator, you can prepare some medications which can help keep it away.
- Everyday, drink a glass of warm water with some apple cider vinegar and honey in it.
- Simply mix 2 tablespoons of honey and 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and take 2 teaspoons, every couple of hours.
- You may take 1 teaspoon of honey orally as needed or you may add honey and 4-5 drops of lemon juice to hot water and have it early in the morning.
- You can add honey and a pinch of black pepper powder to some ginger juice and take it 2-3 times a day. You will feel that the cough is gradually decreasing.
- Boil two cups of water in a saucepan and add some dried elecampane root. Simmer till one cup water is left. Strain, then add honey and a splash of lemon juice and drink.
- You may soak some almonds overnight, and after peeling and grinding them in the morning, you may add butter and sugar and take the mixture early in the morning and in the evening.
- Gargling with warm water can relieve pain as well as cough. You may add a pinch of salt or turmeric to warm water. It is believed to work great. Gargling 3-4 times a day is recommended for fast recovery.
- Drinking plenty of water raises the body fluid level which in turn can help thin mucosal secretions. Even though you don't feel thirsty, drink some warm water after every half an hour. It will comfort your throat.
- You may add 1 tsp of honey to grape juice and have it for 4-5 days. You may add 1 tsp of honey to 1 tsp of onion juice, keep it aside for 4-5 hours and then have it twice, everyday.
- You can have a mixture made from equal parts of black pepper, long pepper, and dry ginger. Add honey to this mixture and keep it in a container so that you can have it for 4-5 days. You may have it 2-3 times a day.
- You can drink mint tea throughout the day, as peppermint naturally decreases the thickness of mucous and relieves a sore and scratchy throat. Ginger tea or a herbal tea with lemon grass and cinnamon is an effective cough suppressant home remedy.
- You may cut a lemon into small wedges and heat those wedges in the microwave for 10 seconds, twice. Then, sprinkle some salt and pepper and suck on the wedges until symptoms of cough are relieved. You may also suck a fresh lemon cut into half, with some salt and pepper on it.
Smoking and secondhand smoke, both can induce chest congestion and can cause cough. So, you should avoid smoking and also avoid those who smoke. Following any one of the aforementioned remedies, might prove beneficial. However, if the coughing persists for more than 4-5 days, or turns into severe hacking or wheezing, you would need additional medical help, because cough could be an underlying symptom of a more serious medical condition.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.