You have been making plans for your tenth wedding anniversary for the last three, four months. A specially designed dress has been bought for the occasion. But, all of a sudden, you realize that you have dark spots on knees and elbows and the knee-length, short-sleeved dress may not look good on you. It is so disheartening to discard that dress. Such a situation warrants some special care on your part to get rid of these dark spots. So don't panic. All you have to do is to scroll down and know more about what causes such dark spots and how to get rid of them.
Discoloration of knees and elbows is experienced by both men and women, but the fairer sex is more worried about this condition. Though, it is not a serious health problem, such dark spots are considered unsightly and unattractive. These dark spots may or may not be accompanied with dry and flaky skin, which can make the situation worse. The following are some of the possible causes for such dark spots.
- It has been observed that this condition is not that common in young people, as compared to the middle-aged and elderly ones. Dark spots on elbows and knees can be one among the signs of aging, but some young people also develop this condition due to various reasons.
- Knees and elbows are constantly subjected to friction, during your daily activities. This constant friction leads to skin darkening or occurrence of dark, dry patches.
- Another contributory factor for this condition is heredity. If most of your family members have such dark spots, then, there are chances that you too develop the condition.
- Poor skin care is another reason for dark spots on knees and elbows. Even though, you follow a routine beauty care regimen, you may tend to forget about your knees and elbows, which are prone to develop pigmentation, dry and flaky skin and dark spots.
- Sun exposure without any protection may turn your knees and elbows darker. These areas get darker very fast, as compared to other body parts.
- Some diseases and medical conditions are also known to be among the causes for such dark spots. Addison's disease is one among them. Ovarian cysts or PCOS is also said to be one of the causes for pigmentation in women. Hormonal changes during pregnancy may also lead to this condition.
How to Get Rid of These Dark Spots
Knees and elbows are parts of the body, which are more susceptible to skin damage, as they undergo constant friction during your daily activities. This friction leads to accumulation of dead skin cells, which becomes dark, dry and flaky. This being the most common cause for dark spots on elbows and knees, we shall take a look at some of the remedies for countering this condition.
The golden rule regarding skin care for knees and elbows is regular exfoliation and moisturizing. Apart from that, application of sunscreen while going out, is a must.
Sugar Scrub: In order to exfoliate the skin on knees and elbows, sugar scrub works best. Cut one lemon and squeeze out some juice from both pieces. Hold a lemon piece like a cup and add some sugar to it. Gently scrub the knees and elbows with the lemon peels with sugar. It will be better to scrub the skin while you are in shower, as the skin would be soft. You may use any other scrub of your choice, but, it will be better to stick to natural products.
Moisturizer: Regular (once in a week) scrubbing is good for knees and elbows, but, moisturizing is also equally important. While moisturizing after scrubbing is a must, it should be a daily routine too. Otherwise, knees and elbows can get dry faster than other body parts. You can use some thicker products like, cocoa butter and raw shea butter for these areas. So, moisturize your skin daily, whether you use a scrub or not.
Oil Massage: As the skin on knees and elbows lack oil glands, you may also go for some oil massage. Coconut oil and olive oil are considered beneficial for skin. You may make a mix of coconut oil and lime juice and apply it on the knees and elbows. While coconut oil acts as a moisturizer, lemon juice lightens the pigmented skin. Even mustard oil is said to work wonders in removing dark spots on skin.
Vitamin E Oil: Another remedy for darkening of skin on elbows and knees is vitamin E oil, along with equal amount of lemon juice and glycerin. You may take one teaspoon each of these ingredients and mix them. Add 12 teaspoons of milk to the mixture and apply it on knees on elbows. Rinse off after 15 to 20 minutes.
Aloe Vera Juice: You can also apply aloe vera juice to remove dark spots on knees and elbows. If aloe vera juice is not available, replace it with a mixture of milk and lemon juice. Mix a cup of milk and juice of one lemon. Slightly warm the mixture and apply it on your knees and elbows with a soft cloth. Let the cloth remain over the area for five minutes. You can find the difference, as the skin gets soft.
So, exfoliate and moisturize the skin regularly. Always use a sunscreen while going out and drink lots of water. Water is essential for good skin, so, drink at least eight glasses of water everyday. This condition is common in those who kneel on their knees and lean on elbows regularly. So, avoid doing so, on a regular basis. Now, you know how to get rid of these dark spots. But never overdo things, for it will worsen the situation. For example, regular scrubbing does not mean that you scrub daily and cause skin irritation. Always be gentle with your skin, even when you scrub it. You will be rewarded with a smooth and glowing skin without any dry or dark patches. If there is no relief, even after trying all these measures, you must visit a dermatologist. Medical attention is a must, if the condition is accompanied with additional symptoms.