Dry socket is also referred to as alveolar osteitis. It occurs post extraction of an adult tooth; specifically, when the blood clot which is formed in the socket after the extraction is dislodged. Since the area from where the tooth has been extracted has an empty appearance, it is referred to as "dry socket". This can also affect the ear, and the eye of the patient. It causes pain in these areas. In some cases, the lymph node present in the patient's jaw, and neck tend to enlarge. The symptoms of dry socket are pain in the tooth socket, foul odor, and foul taste emanating from the tooth socket. The pain varies from mild to severe. The healing time for a dry socket varies from person to person. People who have had a quondam experience of enduring a dry socket, post the extraction of the tooth, have higher risk of suffering from the same when they have an extraction of any other tooth in future. In order to heal this pain, you may refer to some helpful home remedies to treat a dry socket, in the upcoming section of the article.
Home Remedies to Heal Dry Socket
- Clove oil has proved to be one of the best remedies for dry socket. First, dip the cotton in water. This, will reduce the sting of clove. Next, dip it in clove oil, and dab it on the socket. If the teeth around it are in pain, then you may dab this cotton swab on the neighboring teeth as well. This treatment may be done once or twice during the day.
- Another home cure is to gargle the mouth with lukewarm water, and salt.
- Make it a point to add yogurt to your diet as it works like a natural antibiotic.
- Most of the time, dry socket leads to swelling. To reduce the swelling, you can use an ice pack.
- Another option is to use a cold tea bag and press it with the help of your teeth on the area where the pain is intense. The tannic acid present inside the tea bag relieves the pain.
- In a cup of lukewarm water, add a pinch of turmeric, and rinse your mouth with this solution.
- Prepare a mixture of dry salt, turmeric, and mustard oil. Apply this mixture on the dry socket. This mixture will surely alleviate the pain along with maintaining proper dental health.
- People consuming tobacco in any form should avoid its intake for at least a week to relieve the pain.
- You can bite a moist piece of gauze. Make sure that you change the gauze whenever required. This home remedy will avoid the saliva, and air from reaching the dry socket. Saliva, and air are known to intensify the pain.
- Wash your mouth with peroxide solution. However, while doing this, take care that you do not swallow it. This home remedy reduces the pain immediately.
- Another option is to hold cold packs from the outside. This will decrease swelling, and pain; thus, providing dry socket relief.
- Eat right, and rest well. Being applicable to any given condition, rest behooves one to bask in ample rest for the body to resume its recrudescent state.
- Another convenient option to ceasing the pain in the dry socket is by staying perpetually hydrated. Consuming liquids aplenty may help you deal with the pain, and the giddiness that lingers on with this condition. However, make a conscious effort not to strain the site affected, by not allowing food, or water to actively pass through the particular side. To perorate, one must let the preferred side remain in a state of indolence.
One important tip: Brush the area around the dry socket gently. If, in spite of opting for these methods, the pain does not reduce, it is better to take a pain-killer, and visit a medical practitioner. In order to avoid the problems of dry socket and other complications related to it - like tooth decay - it is a must to follow the dentist's instructions.