Excessive mucus in throat or post nasal drip, can be a source of great irritation and discomfort for any person. The symptoms include, a constant need on the part of the affected person, to clear his throat, as well as a feeling that something is trapped inside the throat or that there is a lump in the throat. What causes the mucous membranes to produce excess mucus? Let us find this out by knowing the reasons behind excessive accumulation of mucus in the throat, followed by some effective home remedies to get rid of the same.
- Excessive mucus can get accumulated due to viral infections, such as measles, whooping cough, chickenpox, and mononucleosis. Sinus infections, which cause inflammation in the paranasal sinuses, also lead to the accumulation of mucus.
- Allergies caused by pollen, smoke, pollution, and even by foods, such as those resulting from lactose intolerance, can cause mucus production by the mucous membrane.
- Smoking is one of the primary causes of excessive production of mucus in the nose as well as phlegm in the throat.
- Problems in nasal and throat functionality, can cause difficulty in removing mucus, resulting in accumulation of mucus in the throat.
- Bacterial infections such as strep throat can also lead to mucus buildup.
Medical treatment includes decongestants, nasal sprays, nasal drops, and expectorant cough medicines. If the buildup is due to some allergy or infection, treating it with antihistamines in case of allergy, and antibiotics, in case of an infection, is the usual course taken by the doctors. Besides the medical treatment, here are some useful home remedies, which are quite effective in removing the excess amount of mucus.
Drink hot herbal teas, such as lemon tea or chamomile tea, with a dash of honey. Honey will help in providing relief from any kind of irritation that might be there. Herbal teas, which are rich in antioxidants, help in boosting the immune system, thus, warding off all infections, and hence, are a nature's gift to us for curing respiratory problems.
Rubbing essential oils on the chest and the throat, makes removal of mucus easier. Mix a teaspoon, each of lavender oil, peppermint oil, and thyme in two tablespoons of olive oil, and rub the mixture all over your throat and chest. This will loosen up the accumulated mucus, making it easier to either cough it out or blow out through the nose.
Gargle and Steam
Gargling with hot water, to which a bit of salt has been added, helps in soothing the throat irritation. It also helps in warming up the throat area, thus, loosening the mucus, which can be coughed out thereafter. Taking steam with hot water, after adding eucalyptus oil to it, is another way of loosening and getting rid of the mucus.
Garlic and Ginger
Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties, so chew on a small piece of ginger to get rid of throat irritation and the phlegm. Eat five-six cloves of garlic every day, as garlic is an all natural antibiotic, which helps in fighting infections. Thus, eating it will help you to get rid of the mucus, which is caused due to a bacterial infection.
Besides these, keeping yourself healthy by eating a well-balanced diet, drinking lots of fluids and water, and taking proper medication will help you to get rid of excessive mucus.