The modern-day lifestyle of people makes them susceptible to numerous diseases and disorders. Erratic lifestyle and eating habits gives rise to numerous health conditions; constipation being one of them. When a person passes stools for less than 3 times in a week or has a difficulty in passing stool due to their harder consistency, he/she is said to be suffering from constipation. Not drinking sufficient amount of water and having a diet lacking in fiber are the two prominent causes. On the other hand, eating foods like refined wheat flour, pizza, pies, etc., frequently can lead to constipation.
Hemorrhoids, a painful condition, is often found to accompany constipation. If left untreated for a longer period, constipation can turn chronic and is difficult to treat. Therefore, it is essential to treat it as soon as possible. Laxatives are products that help in softening stools and treat constipation.
Quick Acting Natural Laxatives
There are several medications that help in treating constipation. You may even get them over-the-counter, as they do not require any prescription. However, they are not to be used for a longer period, as they can have negative effects on the body. Specially, in cases of children, it is advisable to consult the doctor before going for any laxative medications.
In that case, one can go for natural or herbal laxatives as they do not have any side effects and are easily available at home.
- Prune juice: Prune juice is considered as one of the best natural laxative. One can have a glass of prune juice in the morning for quick results.
- Vegetable juice: Vegetables contain fiber which is very essential for proper and quicker bowel movement. You can have a juice of green leafy vegetable, spinach or broccoli; or eat them in salad form daily.
- Fruits: Fruits also contain fibers and roughage which is a fast acting laxative. You can either have citrus fruit juice or cut apples or grapes every day.
- Triphala: This is a natural Ayurvedic herb used to treat constipation. You can have it at night before going to bed and the results can be observed in the morning.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe vera is easily available and does not have any side effects. Juice of aloe vera is widely used to treat constipation.
- Tea: Tea is another popular fast acting laxative. You can also make a laxative tea by adding licorice root to it.
Apart from these natural remedies, you should also drink adequate amounts of water every day, as water plays an important role in digestion as well as stimulation of bowel movement. Having a glass of warm water in the morning can help in constipation treatment. You can even add a teaspoon of honey in it for faster relief. Secondly, you should stay away from foods that cause constipation to prevent chronic cases.
These natural remedies are effective in most of the cases. You should consult the doctor before using any of these remedies in the long term. At the same time, it is essential to go for proper treatment in case other symptoms are observed along with constipation.
Disclaimer: This article is purely for informative purposes, and should not be treated as a replacement for professional medical advice.