As all are aware, our feet support our body weight and do some of the most important locomotory functions. Whether you stand, walk, jog, or run, there is a whole lot of pressure given to the feet. Also, by wearing socks and shoes the entire day, blood circulation to these areas becomes limited.
Based on the region of origin, there are several types of foot massages that have become popular all over the world. For example, the Chinese one has its roots in China. It focuses on applying pressure in the feet and stimulating energy flow according to foot reflexology.
Foot massage is more than a gentle rubbing with palm and fingers. There are certain points in the foot that are indirectly connected to other body parts. While massaging, these trigger points are activated and recharged, which then help promote blood circulation and relieve stress when pressed gently. This makes a difference in how you feel in other areas.
Some pressure points are -
- The toes, specially their tips, are associated with frontal sinuses. While giving a foot massage, pressing them firmly for a few seconds helps relieve headaches, sinus problems, and at the same time, improve vision. Do not apply excess pressure, or it will cause pain.
- Another important point is the arch, just below the ball of the foot. You can apply pressure to this point to alleviate stomach or tummy ache. Hold for a few seconds and repeat to improve the digestive health.
- Locate the small rounded area, just underneath the smallest toe. This is a pressure point related to the neck and shoulder portions. Put gentle pressure for 10-20 seconds at a time to reduce pain and stiffness in the neck and shoulder.
- Using your thumbs, press and knead firmly in the foot area at the bottom, situated above the ankle. By holding like that for a few seconds, you will get relieve from knee ache and other calf problems.
- Applying pressure over the soles of the feet is beneficial for improving breathing related health conditions. The sole portion just below the toes is connected to liver, thus rubbing over it will help in flushing out body toxins.
- Check out the pressure point, situated in the inner sole, adjacent to the arch. This point is associated with pancreas and adrenal glands. Massaging over these areas is beneficial to regulate blood sugar levels.
- Coming to the pressure points to induce labor, they include arch of the foot, inside heel, areas between big toe and second toes. Rubbing these points in circular motions with induce labor contraction.
There are lots of health benefits that you can reap from a simple massage. Some of the noteworthy benefits include relieving stress, tension, and painful symptoms. Also, it helps flush out toxins, activate lymph drainage, and promote immune system.
As you now know all the foot massage pressure points and benefits, be kind to provide a relaxing massage to your closed ones. If possible, consult a professional therapist regarding a guide to all these pressure points. With basic skills, you can give relaxing treats to yourself and others, which is most crucial in today's stressful life.
Disclaimer: This write-up is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.