The Goldenseal is a native herb found in northeastern America and the Canadian South, Native Americans have known about the Goldenseal root benefits for many years. They have been using this herb in many of their traditional medicines and as well as for coloring. This herb has a yellow tangled rootstock and very distinguished purplish stem. It has a conspicuous single large seed and green foliage and many feel the herb looks quite elegant. It grows to a height of about 30 centimeters and has a single greenish white flower. Native Americans believe that this herb has several medicinal properties and even today it is used in many herbal medicines. The Goldenseal tea is very popular as it promotes good respiratory health.
- One of the Goldenseal root benefits is that it acts as a cleansing agent in the body and will help you get rid of harmful toxins. It helps in egesting fluids from the body and this will assist in keeping you fit.
- The Goldenseal root extract benefits extend in the treatment of cold and flu, these commonly occurring infections are easily treated with herbal medicines made from Goldenseal.
- One of the common Goldenseal health benefits include the strengthening of the immune system. Native American believed that this herb is responsible boosting the immune system.
- Goldenseal extract benefits can also be experienced in treating yeast infections. This natural herb is also used for conditions like Athletes foot and is known to be very effective.
- This herb is also used in herbal mouthwash because gargling with it can help rid of problems like sore throat. Many people use this herb for treating canker sores that can be very irritable.
- There are several aesthetic benefits of this herb it is used in treating many skin problems as it has anti-inflammatory qualities. It also increases lymph circulation and this help reduce the healing time.
- When used in combination of Echinacea the herb is useful in treating bronchitis and is also efficient in the treatment of hay fever. Combining Echinacea and Goldenseal makes a very potent herbal medicine formulation.
- The herb is also beneficial for women as it has the ability to distend the blood vessels which is useful in reducing menstrual bleeding. This quality of extending the blood vessels also makes it an important herbal medicine for treating postpartum bleeding.
- When recounting the Goldenseal root benefits there has to be special mention of its ability to cleanse vital organs like kidneys and clear the urinary tract. Certain ingredients in the herb also supports healthy liver and spleen functions.
- The herb is also used to treat people who have an inflamed mucous membrane making it vital in treatment of many conditions related to it. Goldenseal benefits in soothing the inflamed mucous membrane of the digestive system and throat.
- The Native Indians have also been known to use it with other roots for treating ear infections. Goldenseal mixed with other herbal roots is also used to treat sore eyes. It is also effective in treating skin irritation.
- The herb contains vitamin C and vitamin E which are some of the nutrients that help boost the immune system. It also contains calcium, iron and B complex which are some of the nutrients that our body needs.
You need to weigh the Goldenseal root pros and cons before you make a decision to take it. Like a coin has two sides there are some side effects of the Golden seal herb which cannot be ignored. Some of the common Goldenseal side effects are diarrhea, nausea and skin irritation. Taking it with other medication might also interfere with their effects. It is also advisable that pregnant women stay away from this herb.
Just like the side effects, the benefits cannot be disregarded as the herb can alleviate many health problems. However, it is advisable that you take this medication in consultation with your doctor.