Shiatsu is a technique of massage that originated in China. This form of massage benefited many and so was soon passed on to Japan, Korea and other Asian countries. As the years passed, practitioners, developed and refined the massage technique, and started working towards curing stress, nausea, anxiety, muscle pain and depression. The meaning of the word Shiatsu means finger pressure. Tokujiro Namikoshi was the founder of this therapy. He experimented the massage technique on his mother and relieved the pain of arthritis.
Watching his mother benefit from this massage therapy, he soon constructed a Shiatsu Institute of Therapy in Hokkaido in 1925. The massage is used for the purpose of balancing the flow of energy through the body. In this particular massage the therapists are well trained to use their fingers rather than using their entire palm. The Touch and pressure by fingers relieves the client from discomfort and gives them physical and mental peace.
It is a healing method, wherein the therapist applies finger pressure to relax the muscles and bring down the stress and anxiety of the client. In Shiatsu massage, the therapist uses fingers, thumbs, knees and elbows to apply pressure on acupuncture points. The pressure is applied in a manner that the intensity of muscle contraction is reduced. The pressure is applied to the 12 meridians of the body to stimulate the flow of energy.
Shiatsu massage lasts for around one hour where the practitioner focuses on central and autonomic nervous systems. The therapists is specialized and trained to notice the root cause of the ailment and identify body areas work on, to cure the problem. Techniques such as squeezing, rubbing and tapping to remove the blockages and free the flow of energy. The massage procedure benefits the human body and brings comfort.
Due to its many benefits, Shiatsu massage is referred to as a relaxation and healing technique. To offer more benefits, therapists have mastered various techniques of massage, that focuses on the cause of the problem and heal it. Given below are some of the little known benefits of this therapy.
- Shiatsu massage stimulates circulation capillaries of the skin. Correct pressure on the skin, secretes the sebaceous glands, which maintains the moisture of the skin. Sufficient amount moisture keeps the skin smooth and glowing. This prevents skin from wrinkling and rashes.
- Such a massage therapy also benefits the client from muscle pain. Day-to-day work pressures, causes the muscles in the body to contract i.e. causes stress in them. This produces a lot of strain and results in muscle pain. This therapy has the tendency to sooth such pains and completely help the person to relax.
- Migraines often cause irritation and discomfort. It brings down the level of concentration, which results into poor performance. Shiatsu, increases the blood flow throughout the body, which calms down the blood vessels in the head.
- The massage improves the functioning of nervous and circulatory systems. It strengthens muscles and bones.
- It is also known to cure and recover illnesses as it improves the immune system.
- Even during pregnancy and menstrual cycle, this massage therapy helps in reducing the symptoms that cause discomfort.
- Shiatsu massage helps in the digestion of food and excretion of body wastes and toxins.
- It increases stamina by storing the energy and even raises the metabolism rate.
- Shiatsu massage is beneficial for expectant mothers as it helps in generating a calm environment for the baby. It even prepares the mother for labor and during labor.
Some More Benefits of Shiatsu Massage
- Increases flexibility
- Comforts from Arthritis
- Treats injuries
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases immunity
- Alleviates insomnia
The massage relaxes the client from daily tensions and pressures. However, before starting the massage therapy, it is better to arrive early, so that the body and mind is calm before the therapy. Eat less food before you start the massage therapy. It diagnoses the health ailments, and eventually benefits all the body systems.