Helichrysum oil is obtained from Helichrysum italicum, a flowering plant which belongs to the family of sunflower. This plant grows in dry and sandy areas of Mediterranean region, mainly the island of Corsica. Though this plant is also called curry plant because of the strong odor of the leaves, it is not related to any spices. However, the oil extracted from this plant is used in perfumes and other aromas as a fixative. This oil has many medicinal and healing properties. Unlike other oils, this oil is scarcely available, but has a long shelf life.
It is extensively used in aromatherapy because of its strong aroma and sedative properties. Apart from relaxing and refreshing the mind, it relieves joint pains. Helichrysum is one of the few oils, which helps to cure internally, as well as externally. Following are some of the health benefits of the oil.
- It soothes the skin by balancing the level of moisture. It also helps against dry skin and prevents the skin from aging.
- Nervous system disorders can effectively be avoided and treated by the oil. It strengthens and protects the nervous system and helps to avoid depression and nervousness.
- It helps to detoxify the liver and also protects it from damage and infections. It is also helpful against liver congestion.
- The oil can be used in case of muscle contractions, since it has anti-spasmodic properties which help relieve joint pains.
- It prevents the growth of harmful bacteria and helps to heal wounds, as it is a good antiseptic. The oil helps in removing stretch marks, scars, and spots.
- It improves the immune system of the body and is a good remedy for cough and fever. It can soothe the respiratory tract by removing the mucus.
- Gastrointestinal troubles can be treated effectively. It helps to neutralize acids and cures constipation and acidity.
- It is helpful against kidney problems as it facilitates the frequency and flow of urine, which helps to eradicate all the toxic substances from the body.
- It assists in the regeneration of tissues and helps nourish cells. It also gets rid of dead cells. This is extremely significant for the overall health and growth of the body.
- It prevents the formation of blood clots in the heart and brain. It also increases blood circulation, thereby controlling blood pressure.
- It also relieves toothache through its anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps to repair weak and swollen veins.
- It can be used as massage oil to treat twisted ankles, bruises, and muscle or joint pains.
Using the Oil
Following are some of the ways in which you can use the oil, to gain maximum benefits of its medicinal properties.
- Massage the oil on the chest for improving the blood circulation, and for getting rid of phlegm in the respiratory tract.
- Mix this oil with witch hazel extract and apply it on the inflamed gum, to get relief from pain.
- Massage a few drops on the skin everyday after bath. This will make the skin soft and smooth.
- A mixture of helichrysum and lavender oil can be applied on sprained muscles and joints.
- Mix a few drops of the oil in bathing water everyday. This will prove to be a refreshing aromatherapy for the mind and the body.
Though there are virtually no side effects, people affected by cancer, hemorrhage, liver problems, or pregnant women must use the oil under medical supervision. The use of this oil should be avoided in infants and small children.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.