In most of the cases, toothache can be attributed to some bacterial infection, formation of cavity, or abscess formation. In order to get relief from the severe pain - and discomfort associated with it, the underlying problem which is the main cause of toothache has to be identified and treated. While a dentist can prescribe proper medication for you on the basis of diagnosis, at times you may have no option but to resort to some temporary remedy for the excruciating pain that you are experiencing, and that's where the natural herbs that relieve toothache come into the picture.
Natural Herbs for Toothache Relief
Painkillers do help in relieving toothache for the time being, but they also come with a range of side-effects which vary from individual to individual. That being said, a better way out is to opt for natural remedies to get relief from the pain. When it comes to natural remedies for toothache, there exist certain herbs which are effective in alleviating the pain associated with it. Given below is a list of such herbs, which will help you do away with the pain, and help you recover from the underlying condition.
- Clove is one of the most effective and readily available natural ingredient when it comes to toothache relief. You can either resort to clove oil or simply grind the buds into fine powder and apply it on the affected tooth to ease the pain that you are experiencing.
- Other than clove, even Jamaica pepper comes handy when toothache becomes unbearable. Even though temporary, both these ingredients are known to give quick relief from pain in tooth or gums.
- Similarly, ingredients like garlic, ginger and turmeric - which are readily available in your kitchen, are also known to alleviate tooth pain. You can either crush a clove of garlic and hold it near the affected tooth, or mix ginger/turmeric with water, prepare a paste and apply it on the tooth that is paining.
- Resorting to the flowering herb known as Acmella oleracea is one of the best remedies for toothache. You simply have to apply its knob-like flowers on the affected site, and the analgesic agent - referred to as spilanthol, present in it will ease the pain by numbing affected part. In fact, the Spilanthes plant is so effective when it comes to toothache relief that it is called the toothache plant in various parts of the world.
- The same principle i.e. causing the affected area to numb to alleviate pain is followed when it comes to Echinacea tincture. While Echinacea tincture is available for purchase in the market, you can prepare your own by soaking echinacea root in alcohol, and eventually applying the solution on the tooth that is paining. Raw leaves of a plantain tree when crushed and placed on the affected tooth are also known to alleviate tooth pain.
- The aromatic leaves of a tea tree (Leptospermum scoparium) are known for their antibacterial properties. You can prepare a solution by adding a few drops of tea tree essential oil to water, and cleanse your mouth with the same to get rid of the discomfort associated with toothache or inflammation of gums.
- In case of severe toothache attributed to abscessed tooth, gargling with tea made from sage leaves a couple of times in a day can give temporary relief from pain. Similarly, hot herbal compresses - wherein you dip a cotton cloth in warm water with chamomile or lavender flowers and apply it to swollen part of your face, or cold compresses with ice can also help in easing the pain associated with infected tooth to a great extent.
While these herbs do provide temporary relief from pain, one has to opt for a proper diagnosis of the condition - especially when the problem is recurring or pain is severe. One has to understand that pain in the teeth or gums can be an indication of some underlying disorder, and sooner the problem is diagnosed, easier it becomes to treat the same.
When ignored for a long time, these problems can result in permanent damage to the teeth - with the chances of malformed dentition or deformed teeth existing in plenty. Instead, if a timely visit to the dentist can save you the entire trouble, it is worth opting for the same when early symptoms start surfacing.