Coughing is the body's natural response to any kind of irritation in the throat. It is the natural process through which it eliminates mucus from the respiratory tract. Cough is characterized by sudden and repetitive spasmodic contraction of the throat and bronchial cavity. Cough that does not throw out mucus from the respiratory tract is known as dry cough. If it is not treated and cured in time, it can lead to serious conditions like bronchitis, asthma and chest congestion. Cough may also be an important indicator of underlying serious medical conditions like chronic bronchitis and asthma, cystic fibrosis, emphysema, etc.
Causes of Cough
Cough may be caused due to various factors, such as an allergic reaction to dust, smoke and pollution, inflammation of the larynx or pharynx, medical conditions such as lung cancer, asthma and bronchitis, smoking and alcoholism and changes in weather. Cough may be accompanied by cold, sore throat and sometimes even fever.
Cough Home Remedies
Though there are many medications like cough syrups and cough drops available to cure cough, they may not be as effective as some home remedies. Following are some effective ones.
- Ginger root juice is very effective in the treatment and cure of cough. Have a teaspoon of ginger root juice along with a teaspoon of honey and pepper. Having raw ginger root juice will also soothe the throat.
- A teaspoon of honey taken with a pinch of white pepper, thrice a day for 4 to 5 days can help prevent as well as cure cough, especially dry cough.
- A solution made by mixing honey, pepper and the pulp of the Belleric Myrobalan fruit should be taken twice a day as a remedy for cough.
- Turmeric mixed in warm milk or warm water, if taken before going to bed will soothe the throat and subside the early morning cough spells. To cure dry cough, roast a piece of turmeric root over low heat and let it cool down. Then grind it to form a powder. You can either take this powder with warm water or with honey.
- For repetitive cough, cut a lemon into half and fill one half of it with honey and pepper. Suck the lemon frequently to reduce the coughing spells.
- Consume holy basil leaves, mixed with honey to soothe sore throat and cure cough, completely.
- For children, mix 2 tablespoons of honey with one cup of orange juice and give it to the child twice a day.
- Another useful home remedy for dry cough can be prepared by soaking almonds overnight. The next morning, peel off their skin and grind them into a fine paste along with a little sugar and some butter. Consume this mixture every two hours to relieve dry cough.
- Consuming herbal tea prepared by boiling together ginger, lemongrass leaves, pepper and honey, is one of the best home remedies for cough.
- Onions should be finely chopped and their juice should be extracted and consumed as a remedy for cough. It relieves chest congestion and also soothes the throat. Onion juice mixed with honey can also be taken to loosen the mucus and relieve coughing.
- Make a paste of 100 grams of raisins in water. Mix it with 100 grams of sugar and heat the mixture till it has saucy consistency. Take about twenty grams of this paste at bedtime for relief.
- Boil fenugreek seeds in water for 30 to 40 minutes. Use the water to gargle for sore throat. It is among the effective remedies for cough.
- Home remedies for dry cough include gargling with salt water twice a day, consuming herbal tea, onion juice and eating raw garlic or cloves.
- You can also prepare a homemade cough syrup by mixing comfrey tea, onion juice and honey. Take this twice a day to subside the coughing spells.
- Eating grapes is the best known home remedy for cough. Grapes are known to tone up the passages of the lungs and are excellent expectorants, that help throw out mucus. Cough can also be relieved by having half cup grape juice mixed with some honey.
If the cough turns chronic, medications may be required to reduce the symptoms and then, these home remedies can be put to use. And as always, it is always better to prevent any illness than try to cure it.