Dizziness is a term used to describe the feeling of giddiness or an impairment in instability. Dizziness creates an illusion that your surrounding or you are spinning or moving. It is usually caused due to inadequate blood supply to the brain, impairment of vision, hearing disorders and so on. Sometimes, certain sedatives or anti-epileptics act on the nervous system, which leads to the feeling of dizziness. Dizziness rarely indicates signs of anything serious.
But, it will surely keep you away from doing your daily chores as the spinning effect can affect your stability and you are prone to falling off in a specific direction. If the causes mentioned above like ear infection, vision impairment and so on are treated, it leads to curing dizziness as well. Apart from all this, here are a few simple home remedies to fight the problem of dizziness and avoid the dangerous situations of instability or being off balance.
Simple Remedies for Dizziness
These exercises do not require any special equipment or instructor and can be performed easily at home. Some of these exercises include the movement of eye balls and neck in all directions, slowly and gently. If these movements trigger the feeling of dizziness, stop doing it at once. There are some walking exercises as well, wherein you have to raise your hands to the shoulder level and walk staring at a particular point. Practice these at least three times a day to combat dizziness. Now, initially ask someone to be with you while performing standing exercises and gradually once you get used to it, you can do it all by yourself.
One of the causes of dizziness is dehydration; therefore, it is important to keep yourself hydrated with plenty of water and fruit juices. Plenty of water helps in eliminating the toxins and helps in keeping the body fluid levels normal. Whereas, fresh fruit juices help in fighting the problem of low blood pressure.
Certain oils when massaged on to the head and neck, can reduce dizziness to a great extent. Sometimes, dizziness occurs when the neck muscles are put through a lot of hard work or stress. A soothing oil massage loosens the muscles and relaxes them to prevent the frequency of feeling dizzy. Basil, rosemary, peppermint, cypress, ginger and lavender essential oils are amongst the best oils to use for massage. They are powerful tonics and strong antidepressants, that help relieve the built up stress and tension.
Here are a few grandma secrets that will help you relieve dizziness instantly:
- Yogurt is one of the best home remedies for dizziness. Mixing yogurt with fruits rich in vitamin C works wonders to fight the feeling of dizziness.
- Fresh lime water (that is, a mixture of lemon, water, salt and sugar) with a pinch of black pepper also helps in calming dizziness.
- Soak a few almonds, wheat grains and pumpkin seeds overnight. Next day in the morning, make a paste of all these ingredients and mix it with milk. You can either heat this mixture or drink it cold itself. Follow this home remedy for a few days and it is sure to help you get rid of dizziness.
- Amla is the richest source of vitamin C and is known to contribute to reduce the risk of various cardiovascular diseases. Now, amla is not only a natural remedy for dizziness, but also keeps you away from the cardiovascular risks.
- One of the main causes of dizziness is less blood flow to the brain. Ginger is known to improve blood circulation. Hence, implementing its use in daily course would prove beneficial in relieving dizziness. You can either have it in capsule form or switch to ginger tea instead of regular tea.
Avoid the consumption of caffeine, aerated drinks and alcohol, as they aggravate the problem of dizziness. Dizziness can lead to unpleasant situations for others and yourself. Make sure you carefully observe your condition and seek medical help if the problem does not seem to subside, even after resorting to the above remedies for dizziness. Take care.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.