Lower abdominal pain is a common disorder that causes serious discomfort and irritation. There are various factors to this disorder and it is important to know the underlying cause of the same before you treat the condition. Of course the intensity of pain usually differs from person to person and nothing can really be generalized. But, normally a severe lower abdominal pain is perceived to be caused due to gas, acidity or during menstruation, while a mild lingering one is indicative of kidney stones or appendicitis. These problems are not very serious or life-threatening, but definitely cause discomfort. There are ways you can treat these minor disorders at home and get instant relief. If the problem still persists and the pain gets unbearable, then it is important you see a medical practitioner to fix the problem. But, in all other cases home remedies for lower abdominal pain are safe and 99% of the times, help in alleviating the pain. Given below are a few remedies to treat lower abdominal pain at home.
Home Remedies for Pain due to Acidity
- Keep yourself hydrated, drink plenty of water or other fluids.
- Mix equal quantities of plain soda and cold milk, drink this mixture in one go, it helps relieve lower abdominal pain due to acidity.
- Chewing mint after food, prevents bloating of stomach and hence, prevents acidity.
- Add asafoetida powder to a spoonful of ginger juice, make a thick paste and massage it onto the lower rim of your abdomen, for instant relief.
- Another way to curb the problem of acidity in the first place, is to have lemon shots soon after your meals. It requires you to squeeze a lemon and drink it raw without adding water or sugar.
Home Remedies for Lower Abdominal Pain due to Kidney Stones
- The leaves of common bearberry tree are effective in relieving lower abdominal pain due to kidney stones. Basically, this herb is a diuretic that helps in washing away uric acid thus, cleaning the system.
- Lower abdominal pain due to kidney stone can aggravate if you stress yourself too much or ignore it. Once you notice the pain, lie down on the bed and comfort yourself. Use a hot bag in the painful area to combat the pain.
- Add a little cumin powder to a glass of buttermilk and gulp it down. Buttermilk being a mild diuretic, helps your system dissolve the kidney stones and do away with uric acid.
- Instead of regular tea switch to chamomile tea with apple cider vinegar to prevent and reduce the intensity of lower abdominal pain due to kidney stone.
- Again, drink plenty of water and other fluids, as they help in washing out uric acid. This need not be told, as drinking plenty of water happens to be the principle rule if you have developed kidney stones. Follow it seriously to get rid of the problem.
Home Remedies for Pain due to Menstruation
- Add cumin seeds to a glass of water and bring the mixture to boil, consume it when hot or warm. Warm things soothe the stomach during menstruation thus, relieving you of the pain.
- During menstruation our body tends to retain a lot of water and uses it up at a faster rate than usual. So, consume a lot of water during the course, to prevent dehydration and modulate blood flow.
- Lie in your bed and lift up your legs at a 45° angle, place a few pillows under your legs and remain in the posture for some 25-30 minutes, this exercise will regulate the blood flow and provide instant relief from the pain.
- Eating iron rich foods like dates, spinach soup, jaggery water and so on also helps in regulating the blood flow and alleviates pain.
- Place a pillow under your lower back when you sleep, this is also one of the ways to combat lower abdominal pain during menstruation.
The next time you are grumbling in pain, try some of the above remedies to treat this condition at home. Make sure you know the cause of the pain and treat it likewise. If the problem does not seem to subside and keeps aggravating instead, do not ignore. You need to see a doctor immediately.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not, in any way, intend to replace the advice of a medical expert.