Swollen lips refer to abnormal enlargement of the lips, which becomes noticeable. Medically, it is referred to as edema, and is caused due to accumulation of fluid in the affected region. Being the most prominent part of the face, lips swelling is a cosmetic problem for many people. In most cases, it subsides gradually with time. However, the following natural remedies for a swollen lip is preferred to treat the condition as soon as possible.
Causes and Symptoms
Following are some of the causes that may lead to swelling of lips:
- Direct blow or physical trauma to the lips is an obvious reason for swollen lips. Symptoms like redness, bruising, pain, and inflammation may accompany this condition.
- Swelling of lips is manifested because of insect bites and stings. Examples include mosquito bite, ant bite, and bee sting. Along with lip edema, other allergic responses manifest in hypersensitive people.
- While dry weather is not directly related to lip swelling, it increases the risk for this lip condition. Thus, many people experience chapped, peeling, and swollen lips during cold winter months.
- It may also occur due to allergic responses to ingested foods. Symptoms of food allergy include itchy lips, rash in and around mouth, and soreness in tongue.
- Similar to food allergies, a hypersensitive immune response to seasonal changes brings about medical symptoms such as lip edema, runny nose, watery eyes, etc. Allergy to medications is another probable cause of lip swelling.
- Localized infections over the mouth area (e.g. oral herpes) can lead to lip swelling. Fluid retention and some medical problems may also lead to this condition.
For deciding on the effectual home remedies for swollen lips, one should keep a note of the probable causes. Hence, lip swelling remedies that work for some patients may not be effective for others, depending upon what causes the swelling.
Swollen lips that are not accompanied by worrying symptoms do not require specific therapeutic intervention. However, it treatment is needed, then it depends on the underlying causes. For example, if vitamin deficiency is the causal factor, taking nutritional supplements is suggested for lip swelling treatment. Fortunately, swelling of lips is temporary, and most patients recover from it without any complications. Following are some home remedies that help cure this condition:
Cold compresses gives instant pain relief from lip swelling. It also helps reduce the swelling and inflammation. Just wrap some ice cubes in a clean cloth, and place it over the affected lips. Repeat this several times a day for quick recovery.
Soak a cloth in hot water for some time, and keep it over lips. You may also take lukewarm water in a bowl, and hold it against the swollen area on the lips. This will help improve the blood circulation in the area and reduce swelling.
Used Tea Bags
For this home remedy, steep a tea bag in hot water. Discard water and allow the tea bag to cool down slightly. Now, place it over the swelling on the lips for 10 minutes, 2-3 times daily. Tea contains the phenolic substance tannin, which is claimed to be a strong agent for reducing swelling.
Since dry and chapped lips are prone to swelling, keeping the lips moist at all times may help alleviate this condition. Apply lip balms having sun protection factor and make sure to drink lots of water everyday. This helps hydrate the body and avoid dryness of the skin.
If food allergy is the causal factor, then the home treatment focuses on the identification and elimination of those food allergens from your diet. Some of the foods that are known to aggravate lip swelling are tea, coffee, tomatoes, edible seeds and nuts, whole grains, and junk foods. Reduce their intake until the lip swelling improves.
In addition to the aforementioned tips, other remedies for swollen lips include applying aloe vera gel, witch hazel extract, and saline water to the affected lips. Also, make sure that lip gloss and lipsticks are of superior quality. It is best to avoid the application of lipsticks and other cosmetics in to reduce the irritation.
The aforementioned home remedies for swollen lips may help reduce the lip swelling within a short period of time. In case, the condition persists for an extended period, take medical guidance for prompt treatment. The doctor will analyze the swelling, food intake, and medical history with an objective to rule out probable causes. Accordingly, topical ointments and oral medications (if required) may be prescribed. In case, the swelling is caused due to infection, antimicrobial formulations would be suggested for treatment.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.