OK ladies, remember this, that the first rule of hair care is to keep it clean and that means that you have to wash it regularly. That means every other day or at least twice in a week... at least! Nonetheless, if you haven't found the time or your hair gets greasy, within a few hours of your hair wash then I don't blame you. Here are some very effective ways to keep hair non-greasy, the easy way.
Non-greasy Hair Solutions!
If you're in a big hurry to reach someplace and you do not have time to wash your greasy hair, you can use baby powder to help remove some of the grease. It's a temporary measure but works wonders when needed. Make sure your scalp is as dry or else dry powder on wet scalp it the perfect recipe for disaster. Now try rubbing some baby powder gently onto your scalp, make sure you take very small amounts of if, preferably just trace the powder with your fingers and massage it over your scalp. Do not let the powder spread on the hair! Now once you have allowed the powder to absorb all the excess oil, brush off the extra powder from your hair with your fingers. Using cornstarch / talcum powder that has witch hazel in it also works great in absorbing excess oil from the scalp.
Dry Powdered Shampoo
This is a unique and effective hair care product that does two jobs in one go. It not only absorbs the sebum from your scalp but also cleanses the hair completely. All you need to do is to apply some, leave it for a few minutes and brush it off once it has absorbed all the oil. Dry shampoos work wonders when you're out camping or down with fever. This is one of the best tips recommended for tackling greasy hair without showering.
Baking soda is an effective and cost-efficient alkaline alternative for shampoos and other chemically rich hair products. There are many who vouch for its efficiency in combating oily scalp and hair. All you need to do is to mix one tablespoonful of baking soda with one cup of water, and apply like you would with normal shampoo. Do not expect this concoction to lather and do not assume that a non lathering alternative is malfunctioning. Allow the hair to soak the soda for 2-3 minutes, after which you may rinse your hair with water.
Apple Cider Vinegar as a Conditioner
Now mix one tablespoonful of apple cider vinegar with one cup of water and apply all over your hair, like you would with any conditioner. This concoction will make your hair feel softer and less tangled. Do not apply the vinegar on your scalp, and instead coat the mid section of the hair until the tips of the hair. Allow the vinegar to soak for 5 minutes and wash under cool running water.
General Tips on Getting Rid of Greasy Hair
- The first universal rule for great hair is to drink a lot of water, try to drink at least 4 ltr of water each day, this will help keep a check on the oil secretion ratio.
- Try and wash your hair every day, with mild every day use shampoos. Shampoos for greasy hair such as oil controlling and hair cleansing products work well for removing sebum from he scalp.
- Do not use harsh chemicals and styling gels, as they only make things worse and the hair greasier. Not to mention the damage they do to the hair as well.
- Always wash your hair after a workout or after a hot sunny day as sweat gathering on the scalp and in the hair is also one of the primary reasons for increasing greasiness in the hair.
- Do not go in for hair styles that require you to sport a greasy look, it's not worth it.
- Always wash your hair well so that any remaining conditioner can be rinsed off and does not allow grime and dirt to stick on it.
- Last but not the least do not keep fiddling with your hair and tracing your fingers over the scalp as that just activates the sebum glands more.
- You can even go in for self-made recipes to treat greasy hair by making special home remedies by mixing extracts from aloe vera, tea tree, eucalyptus, rosemary or jojoba into baby shampoo or any other mild shampoo.
Hopefully this article will help you get a much cleaner and healthier head of hair. Take the necessary precautions and you won't be facing these problems again. Though it's also important that you keep a check on your diet and not indulge too much in oily fast foods or beverages such as tea, caffeine, alcohol or aerated drinks as these increase the quantity of sebum.