One of the most common infections that can occur in the nail bed is a fungal infection. Also known as onychomycosis, nail fungus constitutes nearly half of all conditions that afflict the nail. The treatment of this condition is not easy, because it is deep-seated, and so, access to the pathogen causing this condition may take some time. Thus, the treatment may take up to even a year. There are a lot of treatment options that are natural, which you can opt for. So, read the paragraphs below to know how to get rid of nail fungus.
- Tea tree oil is one of the best natural nemesis, the combination goes back a long way, and this oil can help to reduce the severity of the disease. Tea tree oil is a natural anti-microbial. You can use it for the fingers as well as toes.
- One of the natural ways is to use apple cider vinegar. Soak your nails in apple cider vinegar, as it helps because of the acidic environment that thwarts the growth of the fungus. This is one of the simple natural cures.
- Garlic is an excellent aid when it comes to dealing with a fungal infection, and the best part is that it works both internally as well as externally. So, you can either crush garlic and place it on the infected part, or you can eat garlic as well. If you wish to apply the garlic on the fungus, then you can crush a few cloves and extract the juice and place it on the affected part.
- Olive oil is one of the best cures.
- Another easy treatment you can use is hydrogen peroxide. Take a diluted solution of hydrogen peroxide which is 3% concentrated, and with a piece of cotton, rub it over the affected part. Repeat this procedure on a daily basis.
- Did you know that bleaching your nails may even help you with this problem? Well, one of the best treatments is to use chlorine bleach over the affected area. Take a mild solution of bleaching powder in water, and soak a cotton ball in it and dab it on your nails.
- You can also resort to some more things that are easily available in your kitchen. You can use turmeric paste, or you may even use lime juice, which is concentrated, which provides an acidic environment that does not allow the fungus to thrive.
- You may be surprised to know that Listerine and alcohol both work great. You can soak your affected nail in these solutions. This is one of the most commonly advocated treatment.
This was all about nail fungus treatment. However, you need to know that firstly, this is a condition that will take time to completely heal. Secondly, it would be a good idea to start side-by-side treatment over the counter or make use of some anti fungal medication, so as to bring about long-lasting relief from this condition. For this, it would be best to visit the doctor and get a prescription.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.