Stiff neck does prove the saying "the weight of the world on my shoulder", correct. People, quite frequently, suffer from a neck pain. After sitting in front of the computer for a long time, or after talking over the phone for a long time without moving your head, or if by mistake you sleep in the wrong position, you might get experience stiffness in your neck, where you cannot move it properly, and feel as if all the muscles in that particular region have gone numb. If you suffer from this problem frequently, do not worry, because it is a normal thing and may not always need medical attention. There are certain ways of how to get rid of a stiff neck, and some of them are given in the paragraphs below.
The muscle that connects the neck and the shoulder, i.e., the Levator scapula, is the muscle which is responsible for the movements and pain in the neck. There are several reasons as to why a person might suffer from this problem. Some of them are:
- Sleeping without proper pillows
- Sleeping in an odd position
- Talking on the phone for a long time keeping ones head in the same position
- Sitting on a chair with a high armrest
- Exposing your neck to the cold wind
- Swimming the crawl stroke
- Sitting in front of the computer for a long time
- There are several neck exercises that you can try out in order to get rid of stiffness. Of course, before you carry out any exercise, it is best that you ask a doctor. One wrong exercise or one wrong movement, might cause further harm to your body.
- Some other remedies are hot and cold compress. You can use a heat compress to reduce the pain. If you feel there is some sort of inflammation, then instead of a heat pad, you can also apply an ice compress.
- While at work, sitting in front of the computer for a long time might lead to this condition. In order to prevent it, just turn your head from side to side, and then front and back at frequent intervals. Do this several times.
- You can also apply some pain relief ointment on that area and massage well. After that, cover that area with a scarf. The main intention is to keep that area warm.
- Let the muscles in the neck relax with hot water shower. Hot water really helps in loosening these stiff muscles.
- Massaging the area also helps a lot. You can consult a physiotherapist who will be able to massage the area well, and help you in getting rid of the pain.
- Cover your neck with a scarf while going out in order to protect it from the cold wind.
- Changing your pillow is another useful treatment. If the pillow that you use is hard, then, go for a light, soft pillow; if the pain is bad, then you can even go for an orthopedic pillow.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.