The human body works round the clock and needs maintenance and energy to work. Anything in excess or a deficiency, can cause harm to the body. Even with things like water which is essential to sustain life. As soon as the human body finds that it is lacking the required amount of water, it starts storing or retaining the same in the body. This activity may result in an increase in the body weight and other activities.
Water is very important to sustain life. It helps our body to perform different functions. Hence, an imbalance of water in the body may result in this problem. Here are some of the causes:
- Water helps the liver to convert the body fats into energy which is used by the body. When the body faces a deficiency of water, there is an increase in the concentration of fluid in the kidney. This forces the kidney and liver to work more than normal, which in turn makes them exhausted. The overburdened liver holds up the fat and does not convert the entire amount of fat into energy. This results in the water retention and weight gain.
- Excess salt and sugar in the diet can also lead to this condition. This may result in the swelling up of some of the organs in the body.
- A change in the hormonal level may also result in the same.
- Prolonged stay in the same physical position is also a cause of it.
- The ill-functioning of the heart may also result in it. If the chambers of the heart are not able to pump blood properly to the different parts of the body, then the body may try to retain the volume of blood through water retention.
There are many natural and medicinal ways to stop or prevent it. Here are some prevention tips that might help you solve this problem.
- The most important thing to do is to increase the intake of water. Your body is retaining water because it is unable to get enough of it. Hence, this might help to solve the problem of water retention and bloating.
- Reduce the intake of sodium from your diet. This may include salt, junk food, etc.
- Increase the intake of vitamin B6, vitamin D, vitamin B5, and calcium, in your diet.
- Natural diuretics like banana, cabbage, cranberry, apple cider vinegar, cucumber, and watermelon are considered to be good cures.
- Exercise is the best remedy for this problem during pregnancy. It improves the blood circulation in the body.
- Proper rest can help your body maintain the level of water. You can lie down or sit with elevated feet when resting. This would help solve the problem of retaining water in the legs, as standing or sitting for very long durations may cause fluids to drain into the legs and lead to swelling.
- Pregnant women should avoid wearing tight clothes and should always wear flat shoes. This tip is very useful especially for people whose bodies have a tendency of retaining water.
- In order to get rid of this problem with the help of medication, it is necessary to consult a doctor before opting for the same. The doctor may prescribe you some water retention pills.
Follow the instructions properly and maintain a healthy diet. If you do not get relief on following the aforementioned tips, then consult a doctor immediately. Take extra care in case of pregnancy and other serious medical conditions.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.