Bronchitis can be acute or chronic. It is caused due to lung infection which may spread from one infected person to another, through direct or indirect contact.
The acute one lasts for a few days or weeks, while the chronic one, which is a type of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), can last for a few months. Both acute and chronic conditions lead to the inflammation of the lining of the bronchial tubes (airways in the lungs).
As a result, symptoms of cold and flu, like excessive secretion of mucus, are noticed. If left untreated, this can lead to pneumonia. COPD is caused due to excessive smoking, exposure to smoke and fumes, inhalation of irritating dust, and is associated with bronchial asthma.
- Put some fenugreek seeds in water. Boil the water with some ginger. Strain the water, add some honey, and consume it, 4-5 times daily.
- Almonds are loaded with vitamins, and can definitely provide you more strength. You can try ground almonds mixed in orange juice for some long-term benefit.
- You can use warm salty water for frequent gargling, as it helps get rid of throat pain.
- Tea with bay leaves is equally effective.
- To soothe the irritating throat, you can consume a few teaspoons of honey.
- To soothe the throat, and to regain the energy, you can drink tea made from ginger root, clove, and cinnamon.
- Morning cough and congestion can be relieved with a teaspoon of raw onion juice early in the morning.
- Rubbing garlic oil to the throat (gargle with it) can offer you instant relief from itchy throat.
- Smoking should be strictly avoided, as it can increase the risk of infection, and thus can worsen the condition.
- To treat bronchitis in children, a paste of ground almonds, poppy seeds, a pinch of turmeric, and honey can be offered with milk, before going to bed.
You can follow these tips to treat bronchitis at home, but you should also consult your physician. His suggestions would be crucial, as he will take into consideration your age, health, and health problems if any.
Prescribed medications would help relieve the symptoms fast. Excessive exposure to allergens, dust, pollens, gases, fumes, polluted air, etc., can worsen the symptoms, hence should be avoided.
Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.