Colitis meaning inflammation of the colon, can be caused by different factors like irritable bowel syndrome, poor blood flow in the colon, ulcers and infections. Symptoms include blood in stools, diarrhea, dehydration, bloating, abdominal pain and fever. Medical treatment for colitis aims at treating the root cause so that it ultimately, takes care of colon inflammation. Before going for medical treatment, one can always give a try to various home remedies that are available for its treatment.
Home Remedies for Colitis
One may ask the question how this problem can be treated with home remedies. Here is the answer which informs you about various options for treating colitis at home without any medication.
- Fruits: Intake of fruits like papaya, banana and apple must be increased to 2-3 times a day. Banana and papaya are very beneficial in treating colitis the natural way.
- Boiled Vegetables: Steamed or boiled vegetables are good for the treatment of colitis.
- Coconut Water: Plain coconut water or coconut water mixed with 1 teaspoon of honey and one teaspoon of drumstick juice three times a day, is an excellent home remedy.
- Rice: Steamed rice with yogurt or bananas is beneficial for this condition.
- Whole Bread and Eggs: A breakfast including eggs and bread is good to eat during colitis.
- Oil: Use of less cooking oil also has a positive effect.
- Buttermilk: Regular intake of buttermilk helps in digestion, which should be proper in a person suffering from colitis.
- Junk Food: Fast foods are a strict no-no for someone with this problem as it adds to digestion troubles of the person.
- Spicy Non-vegetarian Food: Non-veg diet should be avoided because it is difficult to digest, and its spices are strong enough to cause irritation to the already inflamed colon.
- Wheat Grass: Juice of wheat grass is very beneficial for colitis.
- Ginger: It helps in reducing bloating, diarrhea and vomiting associated with this medical condition.
- Marshmallow Root: Include this in diet, as it has a soothing effect on the gastrointestinal mucous membrane.
Herbal Remedies for Colitis
In case a person is inclined towards herbal therapy, here are a few herbal sources that can be used to provide relief from colitis.
- Chamomile Tea: This tea provides relief due to its anti-inflammatory property. One cup of this herbal tea in the morning, and one at bedtime can surely help to ease out the discomfort.
- Slippery Elm Tea: It has a soothing action on the large intestine and acts by forming a film over the gastrointestinal lining.
- Goldenseal Tea: This herbal tea is also beneficial for treating colitis. It is easily available in stores and is easy to prepare.
- Frankincense Oil: This oil aids in digestion of food and quick absorption of nutrients in the body. Use of this oil along with other remedies is good for treating inflamed colon.
Few Tips to Follow
Here are a few tips one should follow for fast recovery.
- Eat small, but frequent meals to enhance digestion.
- Add protein-rich food to your diet, as proteins are essential for providing the required strength to the muscles supporting the colon.
- Avoid citrus fruits, alcoholic and caffeinated beverages, as they are not good for a person suffering from colitis.
- Ensure proper chewing of food in order to provide some relief to the digestive system.
- Take bed rest for fast recovery because stress and tension are known to prolong recovery time.
- Consult a doctor in case there is no improvement in the condition. Waiting for too long might aggravate the condition and lead to serious complications.
Colitis is diagnosed by looking for symptoms pertaining to it and taking up diagnostic tests like CT scan, MRI scan and X-ray. These scans help in identifying which form of colitis a person is suffering from. Ulcerative colitis is one such form characterized by ulcers in the colon. If a person is suffering from mild condition, all these home remedies along with a healthy lifestyle will help the person recover from the discomfort in a natural way!