Proper blood circulation is important for good health. Since the blood carries oxygen throughout the body, it is essential that it reaches everywhere. The role of oxygen in the body is not just limited to basic respiratory activities. It is essential for our general health and fitness, in terms of improved metabolism and mental activity. Good blood circulation has also known to be able to reverse, or at least delay the aging process.
Causes and Effects of Poor Blood Circulation
Today, our sedentary lifestyle has caused us to become exceptionally inactive. As a result of lack of activity, we are faced with the problem of poor blood circulation, which in turn results in further health problems. Poor blood circulation may be experienced primarily by those who suffer from hypertension, people in the habit of smoking, and mostly in people who follow a diet rich in cholesterol and poor in essential nutrients. These habits result in the damage of free radicals in the circulatory system, thereby causing the veins and arteries to slowly deteriorate. Also, the deposition of fats in the arteries cause them to harden, which is known as atherosclerosis.
The effects of poor blood circulation are several, namely, a tingling sensation in the hands and legs, longer healing periods in cases of infections, paling of the skin, fluctuations in body temperature, and muscle cramps. Other effects include, lack of energy, shortness of breath, and poor memory.
Helpful Tips to Increase Blood Circulation
Here are some natural ways that help in increasing blood circulation.
- It is most important to follow a healthy diet. Doing so will reduce the amount of cholesterol in the body, and make it easier for the blood to pass through the veins and arteries. It will also help flush out various toxins present in our system.
- For those who smoke, try to gradually reduce, and then completely stop smoking. The effects of nicotine on the human body are several, and reducing its intake is only going to be positive. Since nicotine consumes oxygen from the blood, the lack nicotine will allow the right amount of oxygen to prevail in the body.
- Treat yourself to a massage regularly. It doesn't have to be flamboyant or expensive. Just rubbing a little of your favorite essential oil all over your body will get those blood cells up and about.
- Perhaps, not enough has been said about it, and therefore I repeat, exercise is so vital for general well-being. Needless to say, they will increase circulation to the hands, feet, brain and every other part of the body.
- Another way is to consume rosemary herb combined with red wine.
- To increase circulation in legs, walking is the perfect remedy. Also, soaking the feet and legs in warm water will activate those lethargic blood cells and get them moving. This will reduce the feeling of numbness and tingling. The same can be done for the hands, along with a massage.
- Yoga is a prominent discipline in India, having physical and mental benefits, that is fast gaining popularity throughout the world. Many swear by yoga, and it has proven to rid people of most health problems. The various asanas prescribed by yogic gurus will definitely help reduce stress and increase blood circulation, even to the brain. Breathing exercises too, that are associated with yoga, are known to purify the blood, thereby improving circulation.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be replaced for the advice of a medical professional.