Constipation is characterized by infrequent and irregular evacuation of bowel. It is usually caused due to poor dietary habits. People who are not physically active are also susceptible. Those who suffer from this condition face difficulty while passing stool. Here are some measures that can be followed to treat this condition.
One must drink 8 to 10 glasses of lukewarm water throughout the day. Water helps to flush out the body toxins and keeps your body healthy. Add to your diet, foods rich in fiber content such as fresh fruits and vegetables like spinach, broccoli, whole grains, green beans, kidney beans, and peas. High fiber foods help the body to defecate without any strain. Limit the intake of red meat, cheese, bread, and other processed foods. Walking regularly helps to maintain a healthy digestive system.
Babies who are affected by this condition will benefit by taking a stool softener. Give your infant apple juice or pear juice, twice in a day. Gently rubbing your baby's stomach will also help.
Fruit juices help in passing the food slowly to the intestine. Fiber rich food like prunes, peas, cereals, apples and bananas are recommended for preventing this condition. A warm bath will also prove beneficial. Taking natural laxatives or herbal tea will also help.
Here are some of the home remedies that will give you some relief from constipation.
- Exercising will help move the food faster in the bowel.
- Sesame seeds are a supplement for roughage, and taking half ounce of sesame seeds soaked in water will soften the foods in the intestine.
- Apple cider vinegar contains pectin, which is a water soluble fiber. It helps regulate the stomach acid levels and hence, improves digestion. Drink a mixture of water (8 oz) and apple cider vinegar (2 teaspoonful), thrice a day for instant relief.
- Equal amount of black-strap molasses and honey can be taken occasionally, as both of them have a high calorie content. One spoonful of honey, thrice in a day, works well to prevent this digestive ailment, as honey itself acts as a laxative.
- You can add two tablespoons of castor oil in warm milk, and drink it every alternate day.
- One more home remedy for instant relief is Triphala churna, an Indian Ayurvedic medicine. A blend of this powder and water can be kept overnight, before drinking it in the morning. This proves very useful for improving bowel movement.
- A common home remedy is to mix lemon juice in lukewarm water and then drinking the liquid.
- Drinking fresh orange juice in the morning and having an apple a day will help.
- Use of herbs such as asafoetida, cumin powder, and coriander, while cooking, helps the foods to digest easily.
- Consuming tomato juice will also help.
Constipation is mostly observed in people who eat low-fiber foods or drink less water. The minimum daily requirement for dietary fibers is 25-35 grams. A healthy, high-fiber diet and proper fluid intake will give you instant constipation relief. Remember to also reduce the quantity of alcohol and caffeine from your diet.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.