Itchy throat is a condition that can be described as a sensation of throat irritation, which may or may not be accompanied with pain, runny nose and difficulty in eating and talking. Some people may develop cough and other symptoms too. The condition, which is sometimes referred to as sore throat, could be caused by various reasons. A mild itchy throat may subside within a few days, without any medication. In such cases, home remedies will prove effective to relieve the discomfort.
Remedies to Soothe an Itchy Throat
Severity of symptoms is one of the factors that have to be taken into consideration, while choosing the right itchy throat remedy. If the symptoms are very severe and interfere with your daily activities or you suspect an underlying medical condition, then consult your doctor immediately.
Apart from the above said itchy throat remedies, you may also opt for over-the-counter medicines. However, if the condition persists or worsens, consult your doctor for appropriate treatment. Seek medical attention, if you have a high fever, if there is blood in the phlegm or saliva or if there are additional symptoms like ear pain. This is also applicable to those who develop itching in throat, due to allergies. It will be better to avoid those factors (like excessive smoking) that trigger the condition.
What Causes Itching in Throat?
The throat has an inner lining of mucous membrane, which contain nerve endings. The inner walls of the throat along with the nerve endings, are covered and protected by the slimy mucus secreted from the tiny glands in the mucous membrane. This mucus facilitates smooth flow of food and air through the passage. If, due to any reason, the mucous glands fail to produce enough mucus, then the nerve endings get exposed and irritated by certain foods and polluted air.
- Viral, bacterial or fungal infections of the throat
- Dry throat (due to fever, breathing through mouth, cold weather, dry air or medication)
- Allergies; Acid reflux; Dehydration; Foreign body stuck in the throat
- Continuous vomiting; Inhalation/ingestion of irritants
Diagnostic procedures like gastric or bronchial endoscopy
- Singing or speaking loudly for a long time
- Infection of the sinus or lungs; Excess intake of alcohol or caffeine
- Tumors in throat or vocal cords; Enlarged thyroid gland
- In short, itchy throat is a condition that can be caused by various reasons, ranging from mild to severe. Those with severe symptoms must seek immediate medical attention. For mild itchy throat with no additional symptoms, home remedies may suffice. If the symptoms worsen, contact your doctor. It is not advisable to use prescription medication without consulting your health practitioner.
This article is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice. Visiting your physician is the safest way to diagnose and treat any health condition.