Jasmine pearl tea, just like several other herbal teas, originates in China and has been consumed since ancient times for all the health benefits it offers. It is so called because of its beautiful appearance and the process by which it is made. It actually consists of green tea leaves that are hand-rolled into a pearl shape, and then left to dry. Once dry, these pearls are infused with the scent of jasmine, and sometimes other fragrances in addition.
In some methods of preparation, this tea is first infused with the scent and then rolled up into the shape of a pearl. When you prepare this tea, you will see that these leaves unfurl and release a delightful fragrance that instantly calms the senses. Also, the use of the scent adds to the flavor of the tea to give it a slight sweet taste, so that you don't need to add any other sweeteners to it. Once prepared, the tea appears peach in color.
The prime ingredient in jasmine pearl tea is green tea. Green tea has a host of health benefits to offer to anyone who consumes it regularly. Some of the benefits you will attain upon consuming this tea have been discussed below.
- Green tea is a rich source of antioxidants that strengthen the immune system and keep the body free of disease. The common cold to severe heart disease, and even cancer, have been known to be prevented upon regular consumption of green tea. The effects will however, vary from individual to individual.
- Also known to reduce cholesterol and aid those suffering from diabetes, green tea is beneficial for individuals dealing with these problems.
- Green tea is also a wonderful remedy for constipation and is generally known to maintain digestive health.
- The heady fragrance of jasmine in the tea has been known to function as a great stress buster. Upon regular consumption you will find yourself calmer and able to deal with the stress effectively.
- This magnificent tea can also help individuals suffering from depression and anxiety, along with its stress-busting ability. Even women who suffer from postpartum depression and that caused due to hormonal changes during menopause will benefit from the consumption of this tea.
- Finally, this stupendous infusion of jasmine fragrance with powerful green tea leaves can help delay the process of aging so that you find yourself looking younger for longer.
Now, it is important to note that all these benefits have been discovered through their use since ancient times, but some of the benefits have not been backed by scientific research. As such, it is important to keep an open mind and consume this tea, and not rely on it as the only method of treatment for any health condition.
Along with the benefits you may also experience certain side effects, though this is rare. Since it contains some amount of caffeine, if you are allergic, your body may react to it in different ways. As such, consult your doctor before you begin the consumption of this herbal tea. Also, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, make sure you get the permission from your doctor to consume this tea.
How to Prepare
The process of preparing jasmine pearl tea is quite easy. However, it does require you to monitor the temperature of the water you use to prepare it, as its benefits are best attained when steeped at that specific temperature. As such, keep a cooking thermometer around when you prepare it, and then follow these steps.
- For every 150 ml of water, you require 3 grams or one and a half teaspoons of jasmine pearls. Take a cup of water and put it in a cooking pot to boil.
- Place the thermometer in it and allow the water to heat till it attains a temperature of around 160 - 180°F or 70 - 80°C.
- Pour the water into the cup with the appropriate amount of tea leaves, cover the cup, and allow them to steep for about five minutes.
- If you don't happen to have a cooking thermometer, simply bring the water to one boil and use it to prepare the tea.
- If the water becomes too hot, steep the leaves for a lesser amount of time.
- Once the leaves have steeped thoroughly, strain the infusion and enjoy.
You may consume jasmine pearl tea just for its soothing properties and the benefits it provides to your body. There is actually no grave harm in consuming it regularly, as long as it does not exceed about 2 cups in a day. Enjoy this tea and experience its magic for yourself.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.