Lemon essential oil is a popular citrus oil that is extracted from the peel of lemons. It contains benefits that are useful for different health problems, and also in hair and skin care. It is also an important ingredient in aromatherapy, and contains antidepressant and other rejuvenating properties that make it unique and very beneficial.
Lemon essential oil has a lot of benefits ranging from being an antiseptic to being a detoxifying agent for the body..
- As a part of aromatherapy, the use of this essential oil helps cure people of insomnia. The soothing and relaxing fragrance calms the senses and induces sleep.
- Inhaling this oil has found to increase concentration, memory, and alertness of the body and mind.
- It works as a great astringent for different skin conditions such as pimples and insect bites as it has antiseptic properties. It is also a wonderful remedy for dull skin, and its use brings back the skin's natural glow. It is an important ingredient in several skin care products.
- Being a rich source of vitamin C, this essential oil helps strengthen the body's immune system, and protects it from the onset of several diseases. It is useful in fighting the common cold and flu. Its use also improves blood circulation in the body.
- This oil also has antifungal properties, which have been utilized to disinfect drinking water.
- Though it is derived from a citrus fruit that can elevate the levels of acidity in the body, lemon essential oil does exactly the opposite by balancing the body's acidity and alkaline levels. It is even used to treat several stomach problems such as cramps and indigestion.
- This oil also provides relief from the pain associated with regular menstrual cycles.
- An important benefit for hair is its ability to get rid of dandruff and give the hair a natural shine. Dandruff removal automatically strengthens the hair as well.
- It is a great stress buster, with its ability to relax the senses, and rid the body of fatigue, anxiety, and nervousness. It contains compounds that can elevate one's mood, and restore the mind with a positive outlook. Thus, it is even used as an ingredient in scented candles.
With all its outstanding benefits, there are still some precautions you should take before using this essential oil.
- Do not ingest it without first consulting a qualified herbalist or aromatherapy practitioner.
- Applying undiluted lemon oil on the skin can result in irritation. Dilute it with either olive or almond oil before use.
- Conduct a patch test on your skin to check for allergic reactions before you apply this oil on your body. Apply diluted oil on the small area just inside the elbow, and cover it up with a bandage. Wait for 24 hours to check for any reactions. If you experience any irritation avoid using this oil.
- Do not apply it and go out in the sun.
- Even small amounts of this essential oil can give all the benefits, so it is better to avoid using large amounts.
- Do not allow children to use this oil without an adult.
- Pregnant women and those who suffer from severe health problems should first consult a qualified herbalist or aromatherapy practitioner. Particularly those who suffer from autoimmune diseases should not apply lemon essential oil due to its immune stimulation properties.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.