Lemon oil is basically the extract obtained from lemon peels or lemon rind. Since centuries, it has been used for various culinary, medicinal, and other household purposes. Because of its wide array of uses, it is called "Cure all", by Spanish people. Before knowing more about its uses, let us take a look at its basic properties.
Lemon oil is blessed with several beneficial properties, and hence, this essential oil can be used for innumerable purposes.
- It has a fresh and sharp aroma, and is pale greenish-yellow in color.
- It is antiinfectious, antiviral, digestive, detoxifying, antiseptic, and anticoagulant.
- It is also a tonic and an astringent.
- The main chemicals present in it are - a-pinene, camphene, b-pinene, sabinene, myrcene, a-terpinene, linalool, b-bisabolene, limonene, trans-a-bergamotene, nerol, and neral.
- It bears the property of stimulating the white blood cells (WBC) present in the blood. These WBCs are responsible for the functioning of the immune system. Thus, it helps in boosting the immune system by stimulating these blood cells.
- Lemon oil extraction is carried by applying the cold pressed method on fresh lemon peel. To obtain seven pounds of fresh oil, one ton of fresh lemon fruit is required.
- It blends with many other essential oils, which include lavender oil, rose oil, sandalwood oil, eucalyptus oil, geranium oil, etc.
- It is an excellent immune system booster, and hence, promotes good health and well-being.
- It also improves the functioning of the digestive system and circulatory system.
- It improves blood circulation, and thereby, helps to lower high blood pressure.
- The anti-septic, astringent, and bacteria fighting properties make it the best ointment for treating wounds and burns.
- Other than its medicinal uses, it is also known as one of the best cleaning and insect repellent agent.
To use this oil as a disinfectant, take an empty spray bottle, and add 30 drops of the oil to it. Then, shake the bottle properly, and simply spray the oil over affected areas or on the doorknobs, bed linens, kitchen faucets, etc. You can also prepare a combination of with other essential oils like lavender oil, and use the mixture as disinfectant. While preparing this mixture, combine equal parts of both the oils.
Its fresh fragrance helps in relieving stress and other emotional problems. Inhaling its fresh aroma dispels psychological heaviness, and creates a cheerful atmosphere. Its fragrance also helps in improving concentration, awareness, and thought clarity. To enjoy the aromatherapy uses of this oil, you can combine it with a carrier aromatherapy oil like rosemary oil, and inhale it using a diffuser or humidifier.
Whether, it's a digestive system problem or a respiratory tract problem, this product is the best home remedy for all these health conditions. To treat a wound, take a sterile cloth, and dip it into a mixture of water and 2-3 drops of the oil. Dab this cloth on the wound, until all the debris and dirt is removed. Lemon oil is also a natural remedy for skin ailments like acne. Simply apply it to the acne affected area twice a day, and notice a difference in few days. To cleanse your body, you can add a drops to a glass of water and drink it.
To clean your furniture and bathroom wares, you can use this oil. Prepare a mixture of the oil and baking soda, and apply it to sinks and tubs, in the bathroom and kitchen. You can also add a few drops of the oil to your laundry solution. It is the best agent that can be used for daily skin care and hair care. It has been used as the main ingredient in many soaps, face washes, and other skin care products.
Lemon oil can be used effectively only up to 10 months of its extraction. Before purchasing lemon essential oil, make sure you check the manufacturing date. Moreover, it is sensitive to sunlight, so avoid exposure to sunlight for few hours after using it. I hope this article will prove useful to you.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.