As the name goes, lemongrass essential oil is based on the tropical grass variety, lemongrass. The leaves and plant parts are treated with steam distillation to produce this therapeutic oil. Unlike other typical essential oils, it is less viscous or we can say, the fluid consistency is thin. You can identify this aromatic oil from its pale yellow color and strong lemony aroma. But, what is so special about lemongrass essential oil? Well, it contains several active ingredients, which are curative in action.
Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
The applications and uses of lemongrass oil are understandable from the fact that, this plant-based oil is used in a wide range of commercial products, right from skin lotions and antiseptic creams to insect repellents. Therapeutic constituents present is this oil are citral, citronellal, myrcene, neral, nerol, gerniol, limonene, and geranyl acetate amongst others. It is these active ingredients that make lemongrass oil an indispensable part in alternative medicine.
Some of the lemongrass essential oil benefits worth mentioning are highlighted below.
- The antimicrobial, antiseptic, and deodorant properties of lemongrass oil are imparted by citral. While concentrated oil is very strong for skin treatment, a diluted solution is effectual for treatment of acne outbreak and fungal attacks, like ringworm and athlete's foot.
- In addition to lemongrass essential oil skin benefits, this oil is used for internal infections. With correct usage, it works wonders in curing infections of the gum, respiratory tract, digestive tract, and urinary tract.
- It possesses anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Hence, lemongrass oil is used to disinfect wounds, skin cuts, and burns. However, make sure it is diluted with distilled water before using for any kind of skin treatments.
- Myrcene, a potent analgesic substance, is isolated from lemongrass oil in high amounts. Presence of this active ingredient makes this essential oil an effectual natural remedy for headache, toothache, muscle pain, joint pain, etc.
- The profound benefits of lemongrass oil are also attributed to its astringent properties. What it does is, contracting the blood vessels to help stop bleeding within a short time. This oil is also beneficial for tightening skin pores, treating wrinkles, and reducing hair loss.
- Lemongrass is used as a diuretic herb in herbal medicine. Similarly, oil extracted from dried lemongrass is useful for increasing formation and passing of urine. Overall, it helps in removing body toxins and promoting weight loss.
- This oil is used for making herbal tea, soups, and other culinary applications. By consuming them, one can get relief from constant gas problems in the intestine. Precisely speaking, lemongrass oil serves as a carminative.
- One of the impressive lemongrass essential oil properties is, it acts as an antidepressant. It helps in boosting self-esteem, confidence level, and mental strength. Thus, lemongrass essential oil is popularly used for reducing depression and anxiety in the natural way.
- Having antipyretic property, this plant-based oil is beneficial to lower body temperature and bringing down high fever. For the same purpose, the patients will be given herbal tea, prepared with a safe dose of pure lemongrass essential oil.
- Lemongrass oil helps in deterring blood sucking parasites and insects. While spending time outdoors, you can apply diluted oil on skin directly. In order to control insects in large open areas, use this fragrant oil in burners along with other oils.
- Other health benefits of lemongrass essential oil are reducing excess sweating, enhancing milk production in lactating mothers, strengthening nervous system, and treating sleep disorders.
Thus, it won't be wrong to say that, lemongrass oil is a multipurpose product with innumerable benefits. A word of caution regarding usage of lemongrass essential oil is to avoid ingesting concentrated oil. Also, applying the undiluted version on skin is associated with adverse skin reactions. The safety of this oil in pregnant women and children is not confirmed as yet. Hence, to take advantage of lemongrass essential oil benefits, use it under the strict guidance of an aromatherapy practitioner.