We all have learned in school that the pigment chlorophyll promotes the process of photosynthesis in plants. Because of its presence, plants are able to absorb sunlight and produce the required energy. So, chlorophyll can be called 'the root source of energy' or 'blood of plants'. Dietitians and nutritionists always suggest to include chlorophyll rich foods in the diet. Examples are wheatgrass, barley grass, leafy green vegetables, herbs, and the like. Chlorophyll is one of the top listed superfoods of this century.
Benefits of Chlorophyll Supplements
These days, various types of chlorophyll supplements are available in the form of powder, tablets, and liquid. Liquid chlorophyll is more recommended, because it is easily and quickly absorbed in the blood, and there is less chance of losing nutrients through digestive processes. Though people know the health benefits of vegetables; they cannot include the required quantity of vegetables in their daily diet; due to hectic and busy lifestyle. Many pharmaceutical companies produce chlorophyll supplements, and you can extract all chlorophyll benefits from them.
- The molecular structure of chlorophyll is amazingly similar to that of hemoglobin, the only difference is in the center atom. Chlorophyll is known as 'blood of plants' and it acts just like hemoglobin in human beings. It plays an important role in increasing the number of red blood cells in your body. Not only the number but the health of red blood cells is also improved by chlorophyll. It rebuilds and revitalizes red blood cells and thus rejuvenates the human body at the cellular level.
- Effects of various types of toxins and carcinogens are minimized by chlorophyll. It is highly alkaline. It contains antioxidants, vitamins like A, C, E, and other vitamins, like vitamin K, folic acid, iron, calcium, and protein. Antioxidants protect the body from the damage caused by free radicals. Other elements help build healthy cells and enhance the function of the immune system. This reduces the risk of cancer. This is one of the most important liquid chlorophyll benefits.
- It plays an important role in the detoxification of the body. As the body gets cleansed, you can to notice significant improvement in the immune system function. Chlorophyll prepares the body to fight infections. It promotes fast healing of wounds and enhances the function of the circulatory systems. It absorbs the heavy metals in the colon. It helps improve your digestive health.
- As it improves the health of cells in the body, tissues become more stronger. This enables the body to inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. One of the significant liquid chlorophyll benefits is that it helps remove bad breath and bad body odor. In short, the overall disease resistance power of the body is improved.
- It plays the role of an antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial agent. As it acts as a detoxifying agent, it improves the quality of your skin. It works great for acne. Regular consumption helps get a smooth and glowing skin.
- More study is required to prove how beneficial chlorophyll is for weight loss. It is believed that the drink (prepared by adding one teaspoon of liquid chlorophyll to a glass of water) taken twice daily, helps lose weight.
- It also neutralizes the effect of carcinogens in all body organs.
- As a part of detoxification, it helps the body to get rid of calcium oxalate stones by breaking them down. This reduces the risk of kidney diseases.
Disclaimer: This HolisticZine article is for informative purposes only. Consult your physician/nutritionist before taking any supplement.