Abdominal pain is a very common condition which can be experienced by any age group. There can be numerous possible causes for lower abdominal pain. Timely diagnosis and treatment is very important to avoid further complication. To determine the exact cause of pain, medical professionals basically depend on characteristics of pain, whether mild or sharp and radiological techniques like X-rays. The findings of physical examination also help in correct evaluation. Sometimes, some specific symptoms along with the pain in the lower abdomen can indicate the possibility of a particular disease.
Causes of Lower Abdominal Pain
Causes of Lower Abdominal Pain
- Severe pain in lower abdomen is accompanied with a rise in body temperature, nausea, vomiting and swelling of the abdomen is commonly because of appendicitis. It is the condition of inflamed appendix.
- If you are also suffering from gas, frequent constipation and diarrhea, along with abdominal pain then the most probable cause is believed to be irritable bowel syndrome.
- Inflammation of seminal vesicles, present near urinary bladder, is called vesiculitis. This condition causes mild to sharp pain.
- Acid reflux can also be a reason for abdominal pain.
- In case the pain in the lower abdomen is accompanied with foul-smelling and cloudy urine that sometimes shows the presence of blood in it, presence of kidney stones may be the possible cause.
- Gallstones may cause pain in the right side which can spread to the lower back. Gallstones are more common in women than men.
- Pancreatitis can cause abdominal pain accompanied by vomiting, nausea and indigestion. It may get worse after having food.
- Inflammation of the bowel system is medically termed as ulcerative colitis. The symptoms of lower abdominal pain caused by it are pain in joints, skin rash, weight loss, bloody diarrhea and mouth sores.
- Cancerous growth of the abdominal tissue may cause severe pain. The symptoms commonly observed in such cases are constipation and muscle cramps.
- Painful urination, inflammation of urinary bladder and abdominal pain may be caused due to the urinary tract infection.
- Drink warm fluids or regular water. This helps a lot in relieving pain on right side as well as left side of the abdomen.
- Try to avoid solid food while you are suffering from pain. If there has been vomiting, eat food that do not take time to digest.
- Take one teaspoon of grated ginger and mix it with one teaspoon of lime juice. Have this immediately after your regular meal. Ginger is known for instant relief in case of abdominal pain.
- Placing a hot water bag or heat pad for few minutes on the lower region of the abdomen will help in relieving pain from lower abdomen.
- If the cause of lower abdominal pain is gas, avoid eating citrus fruits, high fat foods, caffeine, alcohol, carbonated beverages, tomato products and fried foodstuffs to ease the discomfort in lower abdomen.
- Fresh mint juice with plain water gives instant relief from abdominal pain.
- Soak in warm water for 15 minutes, this will relax the muscles and will reduce the pain.
- In case of gas, heartburn and indigestion, taking antacids will prove to be of great help.