Maca is a root that is native to the Peruvian Andes mountains. It has been used since ancient times to deal with a lot of health conditions, to rejuvenate the body, and to enhance mental clarity. It is now available in the form of maca root extract powder or capsules, and is used as a herbal supplement by men and women alike.
Maca root extract powder is extremely rich in nutrients essential for the body. This includes iron, magnesium, vitamins, fiber, potassium, and calcium. In fact, it has higher amounts of calcium than milk. In traditional times, this root was consumed by those who were suffering from malnutrition because of its rich nutrient profile.
Following is a detailed look into what this herb has to offer:
- Relieves Menopause Symptoms: A reduction in the symptoms of menopause is one of the biggest benefits of maca powder for women. Symptoms such as mood swings, irritability, depression, and hot flashes have been found considerably reduced when women have resorted to the intake of this herbal powder.
- Cures Erectile Dysfunction: Men who are facing troubles in sexual performance due to erectile dysfunction may resort to the intake of this root.
- Enhances Sexual Performance: This herb also works as an aphrodisiac to further enhance sexual performance in both men and women. With its antidepressant effects, it enhances the production of serotonin (or the feel-good hormone) in the body to function as an aphrodisiac food.
- Enables Growth of Muscles: It has been found that athletes and sportspersons who have taken maca powder have found it to have a natural steroid effect, that enhances muscle growth. Without side effects of steroids, maca benefits athletes by enhancing the growth of muscles and subsequent performance.
- Reduces Cholesterol: Though this effect has not been tested on humans yet, a test on animals upon the intake of maca root powder has shown to reduce the cholesterol levels along with LDL (bad cholesterol) and triglycerides.
- Regulates Hormone Production: Studies have shown that it regulates hormones and treats conditions that are associated with irregular hormone production. This includes curing infertility and low-sperm count. In fact, maca root benefits also include reduced stress and fatigue, and a fresh and energized feeling through the day.
- Remedy for Osteoporosis: With its high levels of calcium along with proteins and fiber, maca powder works as a great natural remedy for osteoporosis. Women are more prone to this condition than men, and upon its intake they have reportedly felt better and relieved from this condition. As such, this is one more of the many benefits of maca root for women.
Maca powder should be consumed in a particular dosage amount, which you can find out by speaking to a qualified herbalist. There are numerous side effects of maca that you may be subject to if consumed in a larger amount.
It is therefore ideal to first consult a qualified herbalist who will guide you about the right dosage of this herb as the dosage may vary for different individuals.
Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.