We all know that traditional Chinese medicine boasts of a very long history. Plant elements and extracts are among the most commonly used products in this ancient medical system. Magnolia bark extract is one such plant product that has been used for medicinal purposes in China, for thousands of years. Now this herbal product is being used worldwide, for its therapeutic properties.
What is Magnolia Bark Extract?
As the name rightly suggests, magnolia bark extract is made from the bark of magnolia trees. The thick, brown bark of the tree is collected from the stems, branches and roots of these trees. Magnolia officinalis and Magnolia obovata are mainly found to be used for making the extract in China and Japan, respectively. This bark extract contains compounds like magnolol and honokiol that are said to have various therapeutic properties. It is believed that most of the medicinal properties of magnolia bark extract are due to the presence of these compounds. This extract is now available in the form of tincture, liquid extract, capsules, etc.
Magnolia Bark Extract Benefits
According to certain studies, the two active ingredients in this extract, named magnolol and honokiol, have excellent antioxidant properties. While honokiol is believed to be highly effective in controlling stress and anxiety, magnolol is said to be an effective anti-inflammatory agent. Both are suggested to be good for the health of vital organs, like the heart and the brain.
- Magnolia bark extract is used for treating various digestive problems like abdominal pain and cramping, bloating, indigestion, vomiting, diarrhea, gastroenteritis, etc. It is also used to treat menstrual cramps.
- This extract is found to be useful in treating cold, cough and asthma. Even allergies are said to be cured with this herbal extract. Most of the stress-related disorders are said to be controlled with magnolia bark extract.
- According to the exponents of this extract, the components in this extract help in lowering cortisol, which is known as the stress hormone. So, stress-related weight gain, gastrointestinal problems, memory loss, etc., are said to be cured with this product.
- Apart from relieving stress, this extract is also claimed to boost the health of the brain, thereby preventing conditions like Alzheimer's disease. It has also been suggested that this extract may curb the growth of cancerous tumors.
- As this extract is found to prevent bad breath or halitosis, it is claimed that it may be beneficial for preventing bacterial growth that leads to oral conditions like dental caries and periodontal disease.
The above said was only a brief overview about the so-called health benefits of magnolia bark extract. You must consult a qualified herbalist and take this herbal product only as per his/her instructions. If you are using a drug for problems relating to the central nervous system, then avoid taking this herbal extract. Pregnant and nursing women, infants and small kids should not use this extract. Magnolia bark extract side effects may include vertigo, sedation, difficulty in breathing, etc. So, use this extract as per the instructions of a herbal practitioner. You may also seek the opinion of your doctor, before starting with the herbal treatment.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice. Visiting your physician is the safest way to diagnose and treat any health condition.