You might have experienced severe heartburn and chest pain after having food, usually during night hours. Occasionally, you may feel sick and tumefied after having hot food. All these are the symptoms of acid reflux. It is also known as GERD (gastro-esophageal reflux disease). Dietary and lifestyle changes, genetic attributes, and Candida infections are some of its common causes. Here are some natural cures for this condition.
Apple Cider Vinegar
It is one of the well-known home remedies for acid reflux, and it has no side effects. Taking 2-3 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 8 oz of water is one of the easiest ways to curb the condition. You can take some honey along with this preparation. Honey makes this medicine less bitter. Apple cider vinegar is easily available in food stores.
It is another soothing natural medicine for acid reflux. It acts immediately, but you should take it daily for 6-8 weeks. Aloe vera contains all vitamins (except vitamin D), minerals, and 22 amino acids. It helps in the digestion of food. 1/4 cup of aloe vera must be consumed 10-20 minutes before meals. It can be taken along with some non-acidic fruit juice. You must avoid citrus fruits.
Licorice Root Powder
The esophagus lining may get damaged due to GERD. Licorice root powder has a soothing effect on the esophagus. LES (lower esophageal sphincter) muscles contract after having food, so that acids and enzymes used for the digestion do not leak out to the esophagus and eventually, to the trachea. These muscles relax when you experience GERD. Licorice powder helps the LES muscles to contract, which lowers the chances of heart burn. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice tablets can be taken before meals. They take about 3-4 weeks to show positive results.
It is a natural element in the human body. Glutamine acts as an anti-inflammatory acid to cure acid reflux. It is also found in spinach, parsley, chicken, milk, beef, and eggs.
It is another root, which is effective. Ginger can be consumed in many forms like ginger tea, candied ginger in tea, pickled ginger, and raw ginger. Ginger is a tasty stomach tonic. It cures many stomach ailments without any side effects. Ginger tea can be prepared easily. Peel and cut 1 inch of ginger and boil it in a cup of water. Add honey, and your fresh ginger tea is ready. Having ginger tea, twice a day, helps you to keep the pH levels of the digestive system neutral.
You can lessen the occurrence of GERD attacks by incorporating some of the following habits:
- Avoid acidic foods, which include beverages, alcohol, chocolate, tomatoes, and onion.
- Stress is an important aspect. Stressful routine can cause heart burn. Exercising is the best way to have a stress-free life.
- Obesity can be another cause of acidity. If you are obese, then you are recommended to lose those extra pounds to keep acidity at bay.
- Nicotine is a major cause of acidity, and you must avoid taking it in any form.
- You must not go to sleep or bend immediately after having a meal.
- While sleeping, keep the upper part of your body elevated with the help of pillows, so that the acid will not flow back to the esophagus.
- Do not wear tight-fitting clothes, which may cause a problem after eating. Tight-fitting clothes will put unnecessary pressure on the abdominal region causing a reflux.
- Lastly, consult your doctor, in case of frequent episodes of acidity and heartburn.
- Drink a lot of water to dilute the acids in your stomach.