Skin infections and diseases will most often have common symptoms like irritation, swelling or boils. We all know about boils, and have experienced it at some point in time. Some are classified as being acne, which most commonly is the case. When considering skin infections, they can be on any part of the body, but boils are typically most active on the face, shoulders and neck region. The reason being, boils will typically arise due to the excess friction exposed and hairy areas. It can be defined as an infected hair follicle. It first looks like a bump on the skin that is reddish in color. Slowly, it might show a lesion, that can eventually fill up with pus.
The scientific cause behind boils is known to be a bacterium called Staphylococcus, also called staph. This bacteria will enter your skin most commonly through any cuts. With the human skin being sensitive, any irritation or damage to the skin will result in an exposure to infections by the bacteria. When the boil is caused by the staphylococcus bacteria, there is a greater risk of the boil getting worse and developing a condition called abscesses. We will discuss some facts about a boil in the neck area, that will have information on the causes, symptoms, and a detailed view for neck boils treatment.
Causes and Symptoms of Boils on the Neck
Typically, a boil on the neck will be just below the hairline or in the middle of the neck area. The causes apart from the bacteria that develops in infection are - hygiene and health issues, low immunity, sometimes heredity issues too. Some healthy people too carry the bacteria in their body since birth. Frequent boils may be caused due to this bacteria in their skin and nasal passages. Medical conditions like diabetes too can cause boils on the neck. Clothing can also cause the skin to get irritated, causing boils.
Symptoms may include, swollen red skin on the neck area. The boil may be a hard and reddish bump in the initial stages. It will be painful and tender to touch as it grows, and pus may start showing in the boil. In severe cases, there may be excess swelling, pain and redness, and there may be more than one boil in the neck area. Fever and swelling of the lymph nodes is also a serious symptom.
Treatment for Neck Boils
Most skin boils will go away without any treatment. But it is strongly advised to seek medical care. If the diagnosis results in hereditary causes of the boil, and the patient is carrying the bacteria in his body, the doctor will advise bacterial culture. In case if the cause is infection from any bacteria, the necessary treatment will be provided like: drainage of the boil and surgical lancing, antibiotics and topical medicines, abrasive agents too are advised, depending on the severity and cause of the boil. Along with medicinal and surgical treatment, there are certain home remedies that can help treat these boils.
- The most important thing is to leave the boil as it is, and not try to prick or pinch it. You will only end up worsening the boil with severe and unpleasant scars.
- Maintain hygiene to avoid any further spreading of the infection. Use a good anti-bacterial soap.
- Use a warm compress on the boil. This will ease the pain and swelling, and also help the pus surface to the top of the boil. Timely warm compresses will help release the pus, and thereby drain the boil. You may use an anti-bacterial soap to treat the boil once the pus has drained completely.
- A quick dab of Indian Lilac bark grounded to paste on the boil will soothe the symptoms. This is an effective neck boil cure.
- Other vital issues to take care are maintaining good hygiene and avoiding sun burn, wearing comfortable clothes, avoiding harsh chemicals, etc.
- Lifestyle changes like eating healthy food, avoiding junk food, avoiding smoking and alcohol, are also effective preventive measures. Exercise regularly for optimum health and to build a good immune system.
These home remedies are recommended only in mild cases of neck boils. In case of a boil which is bigger in size than a pea, strictly consult a medical expert. Get the boil diagnosed so as to treat any other complications like swollen lymph nodes due to the bacterial infection.
Neck boils treatment is relatively easy and effective. However, prevention is always better than cure. So wrap a few healthy thoughts and practices, that will keep all illness away!