From the 5000-year-old Ayurvedic healing tradition of India to being referenced in the writings of Homer, Socrates and Plato, oil massages are not a new idea. Adding warm oil to the experience of a massage can be blissfully relaxing and wonderfully comforting, while it rejuvenates your mind and body. Not only does it enhance the relaxing nature, but it also aids in the healing processes. The smooth gliding motion that the oil helps to achieve, nourishes the skin and helps to dissolve accumulated toxins and stress, which promotes general good health.
Benefits of an Oil Massage
- Tones the muscles along with the whole physiology
- Helps to keep the joints flexible
- Relieves fatigue, aches and pain in the body
- Calms the nerves
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Increases the circulation
- Improves the complexion of the skin by adding luster to it
- Improves energy and mental alertness
- Promotes deeper and better sleep
- Nourishes the whole body, promoting longevity
To get the most benefits of an oil massage, it is best to use chemical-free, cold pressed, organic vegetable oils, oils with herbs added to them, or to which an essential oil used in aromatherapy has been added.
|Olive Oil||Helps to relieve stiffness because of its warming effect.|
|Apricot Kernel Oil||An excellent massage oil for reducing stress. It is very good for all types of skin, especially skin that is aging prematurely.|
|Jojoba Oil||An anti-bacterial, deep penetrating oil, especially good for acne and eczema.|
|Lavender Oil||The oil is popularly used in aromatherapy. The smell of this oil helps to calm nerves, reduces stress and anxiety resulting in relaxation of the body.|
|Borage Oil||This is another oil that penetrates deep, and stimulates and regenerates. Especially good for psoriasis and eczema.|
|Kukui Nut Oil||This is a light oil with a slightly warming effect. It is an anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, and anti-bacterial oil.|
|Avocado Oil||It is rich in vitamin E and hence, good for the skin. Being a heavy oil, it is best to use it in a diluted form.|
|Almond Oil||A light oil, it is also anti-inflammatory. It is especially good for dry skin, although it is beneficial for most types of skin.|
|Coconut Oil||A heavy and thick oil, it is best to warm it before use. It is especially beneficial for cracked, dry skin.|
|Grape seed Oil||This is beneficial for all skin types, plus it is non-allergenic.|
|Castor Oil||This is a sticky, thick oil which is particularly used on scar tissue and to draw out toxins. It is most effectively used in a poultice.|
|Wheat Germ Oil||This has the highest content of vitamin E and physical-preformance-enhancing fatty alcohol. Although the latter is still under research, its beautifying properties can still be used in the massage.|
Different kinds of oil suit different types of skin. Hence, it is best to try out the various kinds of oils to see which suits you the best. Also, many people have a preference for particular oils due to their aroma, along with the effects of certain oils, compared to others. Hence, you can choose your pick after considering all the aspects.
Oil Massage Technique
Although it is best to get an oil massage from a masseur, self-massage can be quite effective too, although perhaps not as satisfying. Or, you could learn the technique and give your partner a rejuvenating oil massage. Here is how you do it:
- First, warm the oil, making sure it is not too hot.
- Then, dip the tips of your fingers into the oil and apply it all over the body lightly.
- Allow the oil to be absorbed by the skin for a while, say about five minutes.
- Then, using the fingers and the palms start massaging the whole body.
- Use circular massaging motions on the head and the joints, and straight motions on the limbs, back, the chest and abdomen.
- On sensitive areas like over the heart or on the abdomen, use light pressure.
- Where there are nerve endings, like the palms of the hands and the soles of the feet, use extra oil, and spend more time.
- After you finish massaging the whole body, allow 10 to 15 minutes to relax, letting the oil and the massage do their work.
- Then, get into a tub of warm water or have a warm water shower.
When you come out of the bath you will feel a great sense of rejuvenation and relaxation. Try to get an oil massage at least once or twice a week. You will find that it is well worth it.