Post nasal drip is a condition that affects the mucus membranes that line the nasal passage. In this condition these membranes get inflamed, and mucus is produced in excess which collects behind the nose and throat. This can cause a lot of irritation, a runny nose, breathing difficulty, a scratchy throat, cough, or even bad breath. Usually, post nasal drip occurs when one a person is affected by sinusitis, or it may also occur due to changes in the weather. Most often, it is allergies that are responsible for this condition. Fortunately, there are several home remedies that will help you get rid of this annoying condition without having to bear the side effects of over-the-counter medication. Some of these remedies are mentioned here.
Simple Home Remedies
- Peppermint Steam: Use of steam to clear out the nose has been an age-old remedy. For this remedy, boil a large pot of water, and put a few drops of peppermint oil in it. Now, use a large towel to cover your head, and bend over the large pot to inhale the steam. Be careful not to burn yourself, as steam may cause severe damage. Continue the process until the water cools and the steam wears out, or till you feel that your nasal passages are comparatively clear. Perform, this remedy twice a day to get the desired results.
- Fluids: Drinking lots of fluids is the best remedy for a host of sinus conditions. When affected by this condition, drink warm water. Herbal tea is a great way of clearing a blocked sinus. Clear chicken or vegetable soup with lots of black pepper is also an effective remedy. Addition of chili, turmeric, and ginger for their anti-inflammatory properties is also a good idea.
- Saltwater Gargle: Gargling with salt water is by far the simplest and most effective remedies for this condition. Heat a glass of water and add half a teaspoon of salt into it. Gargle with this concoction as many times a day as you can for quick relief.
- Honey and Ginger: Take 2 teaspoons of honey, and add a few drops of ginger juice in it. Sprinkle some black pepper in it, and heat this mixture well. Consume this mixture twice a day for the desired results. This is a great remedy for an irritated throat that is caused by post nasal drip.
- Clear Your Nose: If you affected by a runny nose, instead of sniffing constantly, clear it out. Blow your nose till you feel that your nasal passages have opened up. This will prevent the mucus from going back in your throat when you lie down, along with the irritation caused by this condition.
- Baking Soda Nasal Spray: Make a natural nasal spray, by mixing one teaspoon baking soda in one pint warm water. Use a rubber bulb syringe to spray this mixture in your nose. As soon as you spray this mixture, blow your nose. This mixture moistens the mucus collected in the nose, and enables easy removal. You may also use salt in place of baking soda in this solution.
- Lemon: Lemon has healing qualities, and consuming a drink prepared from lemon juice is one of the best ways to stop post nasal drip. Add a little lemon juice in a glass of warm water, and sip it to get relief from the condition. You may add a teaspoon of honey if you wish to enhance the flavor of the drink.
- Avoid eating deep-fried foods, as oil can irritate the throat further and aggravate your condition.
- Health experts believe that keeping milk and other dairy products away for a while has been known to enhance the effectiveness of the aforementioned home remedies.
- Using a humidifier to moisten the air keeps the mucus membranes clear, and prevents the development of post nasal drip.
- Avoid eating extremely spicy foods as they will worsen your condition.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.