- It strengthens the immune system. Sage is rich in antioxidants which are required to eliminate from the body free radicals, that are responsible for the development of a lot of health problems. These free radicals can lead to conditions such as heart disease and cancer, and drinking this tea on a regular basis may be able to help prevent its occurrence.
- This tea helps treat fever. The effects of fever such as restlessness and delirium can be reduced by the using a sage tea compress. With its cooling properties, this tea can enter the skin, reduce the fever, and its associated effects.
- The tea helps relieve menstrual cramps. Because of its anti-inflammatory effects, it is also helpful in treating menstrual cramps as well as any stomach cramps caused due to indigestion. It can also relieve flatulence caused due to any stomach problems.
- Sage tea reduces stress and improves memory. Those who consume this tea regularly are known to have a better memory than those who don't. Sage basically has a relaxing effect on the brain, which is why the mental function of the brain is known to be enhanced upon its regular consumption. Further, this soothing effect also helps cope with stress.
- Sage tea reduces excessive sweating. Those who suffer from excessive sweating or night sweats will benefit from drinking this tea regular basis. Again, the relaxing effect of sage works to reduce the over-activity of sweat glands thereby making it useful for this purpose.
- It helps reduce joint pains. The anti-inflammatory benefits of sage herb extend to its ability to reduce any joint pains or muscle cramps caused due to various conditions.
Heat a cup of water (8 oz.). Put about one teaspoon of dried sage in a mug or one tablespoon of freshly chopped sage. Pour the hot water into the mug and allow it to rest while the sage infuses with water. Cover the mug and keep. After about 3 - 4 minutes, strain the tea and enjoy with a teaspoon of honey for sweetness, or a dash of lime for a tangy flavor.
There are also some side effects that you should be aware of. Some of you may simply be allergic to sage, which is why you may experience a rash or a bout of stomach discomfort upon consuming it. On the other hand, sage is likely to interact with any other medication you may be taking, and may lead to some unlikely results.
Before you include sage tea in your diet, it is important that you consult your doctor or a qualified herbalist, who will tell you the appropriate amount to be consumed in order for it to benefit you. Though herbal, you may have to face several side effects of herbs if you are not careful. Do take care before you start consuming it.