Ayurvedic treatments have helped many people all across the globe experience an alternative form of healing. Ayurveda is one of the oldest kinds of treatments that originated in India. In fact, many people from all around the world prefer to opt for it for their issues related to health, rather than popping pills for every problem. With the increasing work pressures, many people are subjected to stress related problems. This is when Ayurveda steps in to cure and also heal the person effectively. It helps to cleanse the body, which in turns promotes good health.
What is Shirodhara?
Shirodhara is composed of two words, which have their base in the Sanskrit language. The word Shiro means 'head', and the word dhara means 'flow'. Shirodhara is therefore the process of using Ayurvedic medicine, which is used in a particular way. Here, flowing liquids are poured over the forehead of a person. This is done with the help of a metallic pot that is hung above the person who is lying down. A steady stream of the liquid that falls gently on the forehead helps one to feel relaxed and good from within. Shirodhara is also known as the 'Third Eye Treatment', with reference to Lord Shiva in the Hindu religion. The liquids that are used in this treatment can include herbal oils, milk that is medicated, buttermilk, coconut water, and even plain water.
The Process Used in Shirodhara
Shirodhara is practiced at all Ayurvedic centers and even health spas all over the world. The treatment process would also depend on the doctor and the reason for what it is being used. This treatment would begin with a lovely body scrub. The person would then need to lie down on a massage table that is warmed in advance. The head is kept at a slightly lower level than the rest of the body. At times, soft music may also be used to add to the soothing atmosphere.
The liquids used would depend upon the treatment required, as mentioned earlier. This is poured through the vessel that is hung above the forehead. Another vessel is placed below the body, which collects all the oil that travels from the body. This oil is used to massage the person's body. Towards the end of the session, moist towels are used to wrap the body. This is done to keep the warmth within the body.
- Shirodhara has many benefits in store, as it offers a way to relax the body and the mind with the help of oils and medicated liquids. This is a way to purify one's body and soul. This treatment also helps to remove all the built-up elements that cause harm to the body. This also helps one to feel relaxed and have a positive approach towards life.
- Shirodhara is used to generate more energy through the body. This is possible because of the oil that flows from the head area all over the body.
- It also helps the nutrients flow freely to the brain of a person. This in turn helps one to heal from within.
- It helps to improve the functions of our five senses and stabilize our nervous system.
- This ancient Ayurvedic treatment is also useful for helping people get rid of insomnia.
- Problems such as headaches and hair loss vanish by following this treatment regularly.
- Shirodhara also helps to cool down the body and increase our levels of concentration to a great extent.
To fully enjoy all the benefits of this treatment, you need to consult a professional who will guide you to the kind of oils you need and the duration of the treatment. The basic principles of Ayurveda would also require you to follow a certain kind of diet pattern for faster and better results.