Abdominal discomfort can be caused due to a variety of reasons ranging from poor dietary habits to serious medical conditions. At times, one may experience discomfort or queasiness due to the presence of excessive amounts of hydrochloric acid in the stomach.
Though hydrochloric acid aids in the digestion process, too much of it can cause a person to experience symptoms such as abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, heartburn, or loss of appetite.
Most of the cases of sour stomach are minor ones and usually temporary. In such situations, one can follow certain tried-and-tested home remedies.
Drinking a cup of green tea is a good way of reducing the acidity level in the stomach. Apart from that, drinking tea made with fennel seeds, coriander, and cumin also aids in speeding the digestion process, thus, preventing acid indigestion.
There are also some herbal remedies that one can try to alleviate the problem of acid indigestion. There are several herbal supplements like marshmallow root, wind flower, ginger root, etc., that will help in finding relief from the discomfort caused due to this condition.
There are several reasons which can cause acid indigestion in a person. Knowing the underlying cause is essential in order to prevent this stomach ailment in future.
- Nowadays, it has been observed that people have dinner close to sleeping time. This may adversely affect the process of digestion.
- Apart from this, the type of foods consumed can also aid in the production of excess hydrochloric acid, thus giving rise to acid indigestion. Consuming foods that are high in fats is one of the common contributory factors.
- Smoking, tobacco consumption, and stress are considered risk factors as well.
Apart from these home remedies, it is also important to make some lifestyle changes. A few of them are mentioned here.
- Dinner should be consumed several hours before going to bed. Moreover, it is also important to consume light food that is rich in nutrients like fruits and vegetables.
- One must avoid foods that are high in sugar and fats, especially at dinner time. Consumption of dairy products should also be restricted because these foods contain enzymes which are difficult for the system to digest quickly.
- Overeating should be avoided. Dinner should be followed by light exercises like walking, it helps in quickening the digestion process.
- If you indulge in smoking, it will be best to get rid of this habit to find relief from this problem. Moreover, one should also restrict the consumption of coffee and carbonated drinks.
- Practicing yoga, meditation, and other such relaxation activities will help in getting rid of stress.
These are some of the remedial medicines that will help you in curing the problem of acid indigestion. However, if you are not finding any relief with these remedies and if you are experiencing symptoms like heartburn and peptic ulcers frequently, it will be best to consult the doctor as soon as possible.
Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.