The soursop plant is native to the regions of Mexico, Venezuela, Central America, South America, Brazil, etc. It is an evergreen tree, which has broad leaves and is ever-flowering. Its scientific name is Annona muricata. It is known as graviola in Portuguese and guanábanain Spanish. In the recent years, graviola trees are also being grown in South East Asia.
The taste of the fruit of this plant is a combination of strawberry and pineapple along with some sour citrus flavors. The underlying creamy flavor has some similarity with coconut and banana. Normally, the fruit is picked from the tree just before it fully ripens.
In case the fruit ripens on the tree and falls, it may be badly bruised. Owing to the advantages of drinking soursop tea, this plant has become even more famous than before.
There are different ways in which one can have this substance. The fresh fruit of the tree is the best way to consume it. It can also be used for making cakes, ice creams, etc. Often, people choose to make beverages out of it or also use it for flavoring.
The young seeds of the fruit can also be used as a vegetable. The seeds can also be fermented to make a drink similar to apple cider drink.
- The fruit of this plant is delicious and healthy. The fruit and the tea made from this plant are used for treating a number of health ailments, especially stomach ailments.
- If a person suffers from worms, then it is among the best remedies.
- It can be used in the treatment of vomiting, as its seeds have emetic properties.
- Using a decoction made from its leaves is said to be effective for getting rid of head lice as well as bed bugs.
- For treating eruptions on the skin, its leaves should be crushed and applied.
- In case of a wound, a poultice made with its flesh should be applied on the wound and left unchanged for 3 days to make the wound disappear.
- Its juice can be used as a remedy for hematuria, liver ailments, and urethritis. For liver ailments, it is best that the juice be taken on an empty stomach.
- A decoction made from this plant can also be used for treating gallbladder problems, diarrhea, and indigestion.
- Soursop green tea is beneficial in the treatment of coughs.
- In case of poisoning, the root bark of this tree can be used to provide relief.
- Although it is claimed that this plant has the potential to cure cancer, research is on about the same.
- This plant is rich in nutrients. Since it is rich in vitamin C, it is also used for treating common cold.
- People suffering from calcium deficiency benefit a great deal from it.
- It is also a rich source of iron. It does not contain any cholesterol, therefore, people suffering from cholesterol can have it without any problems.
To make soursop-leaf tea, you will need 2 to 3 leaves of this tree and a cup of water. It is important that the leaves are not mature. If the leaves have a deep green color, then it is a sign that the leaves are mature. At the same time, make sure that the shape of the leaves is well intact. In a pot, bring the water to a boil.
Till the water comes to a boil, tear the leaves into small bits with your hands. Place the leaves in the cup and pour boiling water on the leaves. Let the tea steep for 15 to 30 minutes. Strain the leaves, and it is ready to be consumed. You can either have it warm or cold. Depending on your taste, you may add milk and some sweetener as well.
After reading about the health benefits of this plant you would want to include it in your diet. However, it is recommended that you consult your healthcare professional before you start consuming it, as it can react with the medication you currently are on. At the same time, it is best to take an allergy-test to ensure you are not allergic to it.
Disclaimer: This is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.