Swollen tonsils or tonsillitis can cause a great amount of discomfort and pain. Tonsils are the lymph nodes that are found on either side of the throat. These lymph nodes play an important role in preventing infections that cause cold, cough, and flu. Tonsillitis is a condition, in which, the tonsils are infected by bacteria or viruses. Medication like antibiotics can help to cure the infection, however, home remedies can provide relief as well as cure the condition naturally. These remedies for tonsils work by curing the symptoms related to the condition.
- Enlarged lymph glands
- Strep throat
- Trouble or pain while swallowing
- Body ache
- Breathing difficulty
- Consume a lot of fluids, preferably hot, to soothe the throat and relieve swollen tonsils. Consuming warm water will help flush out the mucus that tends to increase the infection.
- Humidify the atmosphere in your home, so that there is enough moisture around you. This will also prevent worsening of the sore throat, and will help you breathe easily.
- Provide as much rest as possible to your throat by talking less and consuming the right food. Avoid eating cold, spicy, or sour food products.
- If the pain is too bothersome, try taking some painkillers.
- Use throat lozenges to soothe the throat, and eat soft, properly cooked food that will not be too harsh on the tonsils and throat.
- Drinking hot herbal tea or chicken soup can help soothe the swollen area, and also cure the condition. It is also effective in eliminating the associated fever and cold.
- Gargle thrice a day using warm salt water. The salt will help eliminate the germs trapped in the lymph glands, and the warm water will soothe the throat and alleviate pain.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey to warm water and consume this at regular intervals, especially before going to bed at night.
- Boil 12 grams of Banafsha (viola odorata) flowers with half a glass of milk. Filter out the flowers and drink the milk while it is warm to reduce the swelling of the tonsils.
- A mixture of water and orange juice is also known to be beneficial in treating the swelling, and providing relief to the throat.
- If you have swollen tonsils with white spots, you should gargle with an antiseptic mouth wash three times a day.
- You can also gargle with fenugreek seeds mixed with warm water to alleviate the condition.
- Consume a glass of warm milk to which a pinch of turmeric powder and some honey is added. This will help reduce the inflammation.
- Prepare a mixture of a tablespoon of honey, 4 cloves of garlic, ½ a tablespoon cayenne, and consume this four times a day to relieve irritation in the throat.